Books suggestions for Ancient Egypt

Status
Closed

A7X

Ad Honorem
May 2010
Orion arm of the milky way
Hi, I know very little about Ancient Egypt, and of course, I wanted a good starter book on the subject. I would be grateful if anyone could give some suggestions.
Thanks.

Apr 2010
Tennessee
I would suggest posting this in the Books section (I'm sure a mod will move it for you). I did a little search that didn't turn up any good threads on the subject, but I'm sure someone will have a book or two for you!

If you're looking for historical fiction, try posting what you're looking for in this thread:

http://www.historum.com/showthread.php?t=10167

A7X

Ad Honorem
May 2010
Thanks, and no, I'm looking for non-fiction books on the political and military history of Ancient Egypt, and on Ancient Egyptian society in general.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
one of our members, Barlier, will be able to give you a great amount of ideas for starter books.
For me, I started with:

Chronicle of the Pharoahs by P.Clayton

Early Dynastic Egypt by A.H. Wlikonson

The Prehistory of Egypt:From the First Egyptians to the First Pharoahs by Béatrix Midant-Reynes

Ancient Egypt by David Silverman

Amarna Sunset: Nefertiti, Tutankhamun, Ay, Horemheb, and the Egyptian Counter-Reformation by Aidan Dodson

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Thanks, and no, I'm looking for non-fiction books on the political and military history of Ancient Egypt, and on Ancient Egyptian society in general.

Try

Thutmose III: The Military Biography of Egypt's Greatest Warrior King by Richard A. Gabriel

Fighting Pharaohs: Weapons and Warfare by Robert Partridge

Both are on my Amazon wishlist so I don't know how good they are, but Richard Gabriel has never steered me wrong. His books on Scipio Africanus, Subutai, and the military of Ancient Israel are top notch.

A7X

Ad Honorem
May 2010
Thanks, "Chronicle of the Pharaohs" and "Ancient Egypt" look good.:)

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
The Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt by Margaret Bunson may be worth your time. It has a good article on the Egyptian military.

A7X

Ad Honorem
May 2010
The Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt by Margaret Bunson may be worth your time. It has a good article on the Egyptian military.
It looks good, reviews are nice, but I'm afraid I might get clogged down with too much information, or that it'll be too advanced, and I need something to branch off of.

Aug 2013
I live in Chesapeake, Virginia in the United State
Hi, I know very little about Ancient Egypt, and of course, I wanted a good starter book on the subject. I would be grateful if anyone could give some suggestions.
Thanks.
The best book on Ancient Egypt is "Daily Life of the Ancient Egyptians!" (The Greenwood Press Daily Life Through History Series!) By Robert (Bob.) M. Brier and Hoyt Hobbs.

I really hope you find this book extremely interesting, informative, and fun to read! Have fun! Enjoy! You are most welcome! Anytime!

Peace!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Egyptians-Greenwood-Through-History/dp/0313353069/ref=sr_1_16?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377377642&sr=1-16&keywords=The+Greenwood+Encyclopedia+of+of+Daily+Life"]Daily Life of the Ancient Egyptians (The Greenwood Press Daily Life Through History Series): Robert (Bob) M. Brier, Hoyt Hobbs: 9780313353062: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51X%2Bm21vbDL.@@AMEPARAM@@51X%2Bm21vbDL[/ame]

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Some further suggestions.

For a thematic approach, Tut's period is a good start:

*Christine El Mahdi , Tutankhamen
* Charlotte Booth, The Boy Behind the Mask

Then the pyramids, absolutely in this field of Egyptology the Italian Cimmino has wrote a masterpiece, "Storia delle piramidi", but I ignore if there is an English translation.

As approach to the world of Egyptian writing system I would suggest

Hieroglyphs and the Afterlife in Ancient Egypt by Forman and Quirke

Status
Closed