Books written by pioneers/settlers about their experience

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What books or other written works have there been which were written by pioneers/settlers about their experience? For the record, I am thinking not only of American pioneers who settled westwards, but also Russian pioneers in Siberia, the Far East, and Central Asia, Canadian pioneers who settled westwards, Zionist Jews who settled in Palestine in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Brits who settled in Australia in the 18th and 19th centuries, Europeans who settled in North Africa (Algeria, Libya, Eritrea, et cetera), Europeans who settled in other parts of the Americans when they were sparsely populated, et cetera.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, FTR, I'm not only talking about pioneers who settled in rural areas, but also about pioneers who settled in newly emerging urban areas--such as the people who settled in San Francisco and the surrounding areas after 1848.

Mar 2019
Kansas
What books or other written works have there been which were written by pioneers/settlers about their experience? For the record, I am thinking not only of American pioneers who settled westwards, but also Russian pioneers in Siberia, the Far East, and Central Asia, Canadian pioneers who settled westwards, Zionist Jews who settled in Palestine in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Brits who settled in Australia in the 18th and 19th centuries, Europeans who settled in North Africa (Algeria, Libya, Eritrea, et cetera), Europeans who settled in other parts of the Americans when they were sparsely populated, et cetera.

Australian Settlers

Journals from the First Fleet

And here are some contemporary documents you can read on line

The First Fleet

Dec 2011
Late Cretaceous
Link to a site with letters, diaries, memoirs of settlers and explorers of the American West.

NB some of the sub-links no longer work

Emigrant Diaries and Journals-Last updated 10/09/02

short sample of the diary of a traveller (Demas Barnes) on the Overland Stage

Denver, Colorado, June 26, 1865
I have run a little ahead of my diary. Ten miles out of Atchison, you are fairly in the prairie wilds, and make no town of account until you reach Denver, six hundred and forty miles. For convenience of forage the overland transportation and emigration trains take all the western water courses and start from Leavenworth, Nebraska City, Atchison, St. Joseph, Omaha, &c., so that no one route give a full comprehension of this business. Butterfield's overland dispatch will send out thirty thousand yoke (60,000 head!) of cattle this season, averaging six yoke to the wagon. They reach Denver, is say forty days.
The fare from Atchison to Salt Lake is $350. Baggage over twenty-five pounds, $1.50 per pound--meals extra. I found them to commence at $1 and advance to $2. All this is entirely different from the information given me at the Stage office in New York.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
There's a lot of different accounts in that link! Great job! Thanks for finding this and sharing this with us! I will make sure to check out some of these accounts! :)

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal

I noticed that you only mentioned North of Africa, but since there weren’t Portuguese colonies in the North of Africa, unless we consider the fortress and trading posts, I will give an example from Southern Africa, around Angola, to be more precise.

Silva Porto, a Portuguese “sertanejo” (bushman), pioneer, adventurer, trader, explorer established a trade emporium in Belmonte, founded a city that later had his name, todays Cuíto in the province of Bié, Angola, and traded and dealt with the African kings in the interior (Barotze).

He wrote “Viagens e apontamentos de um portuense em África.” / “Voyages and notes of a man from Porto in Africa”, in many volumes (I think that they are more than 40). Only excerpts were published in 1942.

Wikipedia link for the basics, about Silva Porto: António da Silva Porto - Wikipedia

And about Barotze: Barotseland - Wikipedia

Similar History Discussions