Botched invasions

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I'm amazed that no one mentioned the US invasions of Canada.

"The American Revolutionary War - see Invasion of Canada (1775)
  • The War of 1812
  • A small group of American rebels from the Hunters' Lodges invaded Canada in the Patriot War (1837–1838) and the Battle of the Windmill in 1838
  • The Fenian raids, based in the United States, also targeted Canada between 1866 and 1871
  • The United States developed an invasion plan known as War Plan Red in the mid-1920s. The plan was a contingency for the unlikely event of war with the United Kingdom. It was officially withdrawn in 1939.
  • The Invasion of Canada is also a 1980 book by Pierre Berton about the War of 1812
  • In 2016 approximately 1500 United States citizens accidentally crossed the international border on rafts and landed on the Canadian shoreline during the annual Port Huron Float Down event. News agencies referred to the incident as an "Invasion".
Wikipedia

By the criteria of some of the some of these examples, I was part of an invasion of Canada when when we landed our boat on the Canadian shore of Lake Huron and had lunch.

Last edited:
Jun 2011
The Old Dominion
A quick breeze through the posts and I don't think I saw it, but I'd suggest the Japanese invasion at Milne Bay might qualify for a 'botched' invasion

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
botched , hardly , the Australians , with support of some RAAF had a hell of a time holding them
it failed for the usual reason the Imperial army did not provide logistical support
the soldiers either died in fanatical charges or starved later

the kittyhawks were taking off from the air strip and machine gunned straight away , the front line was so close
soon the rifling of their guns was worn out and the firing was more like a random spraying of the jungle
the Japanese had some light tanks which were hunted by infantry equipped with the Boyd rifle in rather haphazard night fighting
it was the first time the Japanese lost the offensive

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Yes , it was a total disaster for Athens but it wasn't "botched "
it succeeded in taking Sicily and besieging Syracuse ,
then things got pear shaped

Apr 2018
Mythical land.
Pakistan's invasion of indian jammu and kashmir, failed to capture kashmir and ended up losing thrice the amount of land they captured in 1965 indo pak war

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Yes , it was a total disaster for Athens but it wasn't "botched "
it succeeded in taking Sicily and besieging Syracuse ,
then things got pear shaped
If we are going to use that logic, then we would also have to remove the Japanese invasions of Korea (which were mentioned in this thread) from the list of botched invasions.

Apr 2018
Mythical land.
Ummayad campaign in india might be considered botched but they did capture sindh region of indian subcontinent even if later being defeated by other indian kingdoms

Jun 2011
The Old Dominion
botched , hardly , the Australians , with support of some RAAF had a hell of a time holding them
it failed for the usual reason the Imperial army did not provide logistical support
the soldiers either died in fanatical charges or starved later

the kittyhawks were taking off from the air strip and machine gunned straight away , the front line was so close
soon the rifling of their guns was worn out and the firing was more like a random spraying of the jungle
the Japanese had some light tanks which were hunted by infantry equipped with the Boyd rifle in rather haphazard night fighting
it was the first time the Japanese lost the offensive
So, not enough follow up, not enough support . . . they botched it. Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Similar History Discussions