Boulle, Planet of the Apes

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Planet of the Apes, by Pierre Boulle
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Apes-Pierre-Boulle/dp/0345447980/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300158147&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Planet of the Apes (9780345447982): Pierre Boulle: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OnF8QzSfL.@@AMEPARAM@@51OnF8QzSfL[/ame]

Conquering your world, March 20th.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
1,200 years in our future, a journalist named Ulysse Merou, his wife, and their son Sirius return to Earth after having escaped from a planet that is its mirror image, only governed by apes. This world, Soror, has evolved from a point when humans, lazy and shiftless, were overthrown by their slaves, the native apes of that world. Barely escaping from the planet, Ulysse is pleased to return home. This is of course till he is confronted with the fact that, although he has only been gone for a short number of years, over 700 years had passed due to time relativity and faster than light travel. To his dismay, Ulysse sees that our Earth has evolved on the same pattern as Soror, with the apes now in complete control of the planet, and humans nowhere to be seen. Seeing no alternative but to flee, Ulysse releases his journal into space where it is discovered by two individuals enjoying their vacation in space, Jinn and Phyllis. The problem with the story thinks Jinn, is that since he was educated on Earth, he would know if any such humans had ever existed there....they had not.

Continuing the proletariat theme from The Time Machine, is Planet of the Apes another cautionary tale on the continuing reliance by the upperclass on those who are beneath them and is Sirius the last hope of mankind in the universe, to get it right?

Jan 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I haven't read this book in a very long time--I started to read it to join the discussion, but got interrupted and haven't gotten back to it yet. Anybody have anything to say about it?

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
I guess it was a bad choice? I though that some of the SciFi fans might have read it. Oh well, onward and upward!

Vladd

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
England
I read it years ago, but the only thing I can remember is the returning astronauts landing by the Eiffel Tower.

Similar History Discussions