Brahmins of Pakistan and Afghanistan

Sep 2017
Bharatvarsh
Namaskar,

why i was reading a book on Islamization of Afghanistan and Pakistan i started wondering about Brahmins who used to dwell in those lands.

i know that there were some Brahmin kings in Kabul and Hindu temples in Eastern Afghanistan so i know that there was a sizable Brahmin community in Afghanistan and i guess some migrated to Iran and our original homeland of Central Asia/Meru mountain region.

but today we find almost no Brahmins in those region. what happened to them ? and their culture ?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
They were 1. killed, 2. enslaved, 3. converted to or were forced to convert to Islam, or 4. they migrated to areas where they could still practice their ways like to Punjab, Haryana, etc. Very much like the way the many Zoroastrians and Jews came to India.

Sep 2017
Bharatvarsh
They were 1. killed, 2. enslaved, 3. converted to or were forced to convert to Islam, or 4. they migrated to areas where they could still practice their ways like to Punjab, Haryana, etc. Very much like the way the many Zoroastrians and Jews came to India.
many were killed and enslaved by invading Turks and Arab armies when they invaded Central asia and Afghanistan just like natives of those lands but i am shocked by complete destruction of Brahmanic civilization in those regions.

conversation is one matter but we can see that many converted Brahmins still have their Surname and link with brahmin ancestry intact in Kashmir, NCR and Jammu.

Aug 2014
pakistan
i am shocked by complete destruction of Brahmanic civilization in those regions.

First of all there is no such thing as "Brahmanic civilization". Secondly how you came to the conclusion that there was "sizable" Brahman community in eastern Afghanistan. Any source?. Sure the ruling family of Kabul was Brahman but the population of eastern Afghanistan under their rule appear to be largely Buddhist.

Sep 2017
Bharatvarsh
First of all there is no such thing as "Brahmanic civilization". Secondly how you came to the conclusion that there was "sizable" Brahman community in eastern Afghanistan. Any source?. Sure the ruling family of Kabul was Brahman but the population of eastern Afghanistan under their rule appear to be largely Buddhist.
Namaskar,

According to some British Gazette there were as many as 10,000 Brahmin living in one North west frontier province alone, our great scholar Panini who made Sanskrit a "Refined language of brahmin" from Vedic Boli was also from that region.

You can not rule martial nomandic tribes unless you have significant people of your 9wn tribes there to take control of the situation when crisis like Mutiny,civilwar and bagawat aroses.

Brahmin sahis using and pushing Sanskrit over nobles of various origins like any other brahmin empires shows that there were many people of his clan in those regions to support him.

Some were priests in hindu and Buddhist temples while others were martials like Mohyals, like royal Kings and nobels who were Mohyal Shahis.

Sep 2017
Bharatvarsh
I guess brahmins from those regions were more Like Ancient brahmins / Martial, Robust, Tall, Aryan, Warlike from Vedic age unlike modern brahmin from most of india. Only Punjabi, Kashmiri, Dogri, Himachali, uttrakhandi and Haryanvi Brahmin have this phenotype on Avarage.

Rajasthan, Gujarat and Maharashtra have token of these as well. Myself being example due to my Height and blue eyes i guess.

Brahmin of Gandhara.

Looks closer to punjabi And Dogra brahmins like Sanjay datt.in attitude.

Last edited:

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Where you give 'dakshina' to brahmins every alternate day for some reason or the other. ;)
The funny thing is that people with agendas cook up their own civilizations. Here are a few from South Asia:
- Saraswathi Civilization.
As this turned out to be a hard sell, a new one was created to sneak it in as a clingon to IVC:
- Indus-Saraswathi civilization.
And to top it all, we now have this emerging:
- Brahmanic civilization. :lol:
--------------------------------
Btw, I have this book by S. M. Ikram, rather well written with an Islamic bias:
- Muslim civilization in India.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions