brahmins who converted to islam

Dec 2015
Gujarat, Western India
what happened to them ?
and actually how many brahmins from present day pakistan,india and BDesh converted to Islam ?
and their views on caste system

Last edited:
Jan 2016
India
nice question.

not sure about Brahmans, but actually large no of Aryan kashtriyas and Rajputs converted to islam during 7th to 18th century. even i am a ror Kashtriya by biradri.

i guess some Brahmans converted to Islam in modern day Pakistan and Afghanistan as well.
Ror aren't considered true kshatriyas in Haryana and UP. Rajputs did not convert to Islam much. It is just that some peripheral communities converted to Islam and then claimed Rajput status during British times, due to the prestige that is attached to the Rajput title. Number of Rajputs that converted to Islam is minimal.

Aug 2014
Canada
Brahmins were the upholder of the Hindu civilisation. No Brahmin community ever converted to Islam in significant numbers.
In general true but there were exceptions.

In Kashmir, a very significant number (perhaps even the majority) of Brahmins were converted to Islam (likely forcibly), hence accounting for the proliferation of brahmin names among Kashmiri muslims.

A lot of Rai Bhats in the upper Gangetic plains converted into Islam (unclear if conversion was voluntary or forced).

In addition, Saraswat brahmins of Punjab converted en masse voluntarily into Sikhism where they form the Bhat/Bhatra Sangat.

Sep 2015
Sri Lanka
"known known" brahmins!!

what happened to them ?
and actually how many brahmins from present day pakistan,india and BDesh converted to Islam ?
Very few I guess---I know very Famous Brahmins children or relatives in Indian Politics and Film industry married Muslim Men/women--But no one knows whether they converted to Islam or married under the "special marriages act" and remain without changing their faith of their own religion

Mrs.Suhasini Haider-- Daughter of Dr.Subramaniyan Swamy of BJP Married the son of Salman Haider and remains as a Hindu Brahmin!
The daughter of Sheila Dixit, a Brahmin, married a Muslim after converting to Islam.

The niece of L K Advani, a Sindhi Brahmin, married a Muslim. Advani did attend the marriage ceremony and blessed the couple.

These are well known in Public Records! I better Stop here with one of my favourite quote

"Because as we know, there are "known knowns"; [there are things we know we know]. We also know there are "known unknowns";[ that is to say we know that there are some things we do not know.] But there are also "unknown unknowns" —[ the ones we don't know of we don't know.] By Donald Rumsfield.in the Wake of searching WMD in Iraq

Mar 2016
Punjab, Pakistan
In Pakistan in cities like Lahore, no one really follow biradari. Pak Punjabi are just mixed type of upper and lower class background. In rural area however there are some backwards minded people that are believe in such birdarie nonsense. This will all change in 10, 15 years as Pakistan becomes modernize. That change is happening right now as we speak.

Last edited:

Shaheen

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Sweden
In Pakistan in cities like Lahore, no one really follow biradari. Pak Punjabi are just mixed type of upper and lower class background. In rural area however there are some backwards minded people that are believe in such birdarie nonsense. This will all change in 10, 15 years as Pakistan becomes modernize. That change is happening right now as we speak.
Yes this is a common feature in Pakistani urban areas (especially the middle class) where concepts such as 'purity of lineage' are increasingly seen as archaic notions that dont belong in the modern world. Personally come from a Lahori Kamboh family but got one cousin married to a Pashtun, an aunt married to a 'Bihari', myself marrying an Arab lol. Still most of my cousins marry within the tribe but it is not seen as a taboo anymore to marry outside.

In countryside things are still more backward as you correctly point out but as urbanization increases, slowly this backward mindset will interest fewer people. Also I think a major reason why this archaic notion has been dominant in rural areas is in order to make sure that land (especially fertile one) remained within the 'biraderi', since if a girl marries outside, as part of the dowry she gets a portion of the land as well. If this goes to other biraderis then they gain an "advantage" over you.

Last edited:

Shaheen

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Sweden
what happened to them ?
Punjabi Shaikhs generally are thought to be descendants of Brahmins (Mohyals). Same goes for Butts (Bhats) who have a large presence in urban areas of Punjab like Lahore, Gujranwala etc.

Most Sindhis tribes that I know of claim either Rajput ancestry (Samma, Abro,Solangi etc) or Baloch (Gabol, Zardari, Rind etc).

Amongst Hindkowans of KPK I am not sure about Brahmin ancestry presence. They have a similar clan structure to Punjabis so possibly their Sheikhs and Butts say the same thing. However Rajputs again tend to have a more dominant presence there (Sarral, Janjua, not sure about Sial or Karlal), and of course the western origin Hindkowans like Tareens have a different history.

As stated in my previous post however the newer generation are less obsessed with things like tribe and biraderi and inter tribe marriages are increasingly become more common. In my parents generation most people married within the tribe, even in urban areas, but now this is increasingly seen as backward thinking.

Mar 2016
Punjab, Pakistan
Yes shaheen, my brother is marry bangladesh girl. My other sister husband is east African. We are from jhang district. Before marrying outside was unthinkable but now is normal.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions