Brasillian Territorial Claims

Mar 2015
Southern Brazil
I know for a fact Brasil claimed/had controlled northern bolivia, some small part of Acre that was ceded to Peru, Large portions (proportionally) of Ecuador and some small lands from Colombia. Pirara region of Guyane was also claimed (divided by British Guyane and Brasil). Uruguay aswell was controlled by some years and French Guyane was occupied in the Coalition wars.

Any more claims that Brasil, at any time, made, or any territory it controlled that I don't know? I plan on making a very good and informative map, for my nation (Brasil) doesn't has one (Yes, we think we are a idiot people. If we were idiots our borders wouldn't almost entirely coincide with rivers, mountains or strategic terrain.......)

Thanks in advance

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Angola. Consider that during the reconquest of the territory to the Dutch in 1648, the expeditions were organized from Rio de Janeiro, so that Angola was effectively controlled from Brazil for some years.

Mar 2015
Southern Brazil
Angola. Consider that during the reconquest of the territory to the Dutch in 1648, the expeditions were organized from Rio de Janeiro, so that Angola was effectively controlled from Brazil for some years.
Oh heck, that's very interesting, I had forgot that.
Thank you very much.

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil
Graveyard welcome to historum good to see another brazilian here.
I would mention the French Guiana but you already did.
I do not know if that fit in the thread, but Brazil and Argentina occupied Paraguay until 1876 nearly six years after the end of the war.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Uruguay was part of Brazil. But was mainly Spanish-speaking cattle country with little connection to the rest.

There was a civil/independence war in the time of the Emperor Pedro I in which the Brazilian troops performed rather lamentably and the easiest option was to cede independence.

......as I understand it from the biographical novel of Pedro,

EL IMPERIO ERES TU (PREMIO PLANETA 2011) - JAVIER MORO, comprar el libro

Mar 2015
Southern Brazil
There was a civil/independence war in the time of the Emperor Pedro I in which the Brasilian troops performed rather lamentably and the easiest option was to cede independence.
Yea. Pampas are like what steppes were to german knight, and Uruguay was all Pampas. Worst: half of Brasil's southern state is pampas aswell, and also borderlands were ever a mix of peoples. That made it very easy to invade Brasil's land

But it was good, Argentina was a strong power at that time and threatened us. Well, now they are a pile of rocks, and they are stopping our growth...

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil
Uruguay was part of Brazil. But was mainly Spanish-speaking cattle country with little connection to the rest.

There was a civil/independence war in the time of the Emperor Pedro I in which the Brazilian troops performed rather lamentably and the easiest option was to cede independence.

......as I understand it from the biographical novel of Pedro,

EL IMPERIO ERES TU (PREMIO PLANETA 2011) - JAVIER MORO, comprar el libro
True Brazilian army of this time was pretty bad, was a colonial army made to control his own people, not fight in conquest wars, was a bad mix of foreign mercenaries, with militiamen without much training and motivation, after the war in Uruguay, and the rebellions, inside Brazil the army, go through several restructurings, and would do incredibly well in other wars in the La Plata region, at last the Navy has done better although it has suffered losses as in Juncal the navy was resilient enough, to reform and fight back the victory in Monte Santiango, allowed the Imperial Navy to block Buenos Aires, which brought the Argentinians to the negotiating table, preventing what could be a even greater humiliation, ie Uruguay becoming part of Argentina.

Similar History Discussions