Brazil Presidential Elections

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Wessex
Oh I understand all too well how the 'brains' of these people work, through a form of short-circuiting rather than anything that could be described as thought!

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Yes I agree most catholics are against gays, they also exist in my country, only they are mistreated with words and violence.
I am against violence, but I like to see gay men miles away.

For us Portuguese it is shameful to see a gay of Portuguese nationality.
And if my country is still behind on these communities it has to do with our religion.

Brazil is freer with the gay community than it is in Portugal.

Feb 2012
Portugal
This paragraph is hard to understand since I do not recollect anything you are describing here. Bolsonaro in his own words said that he is homophobic and proud of it, and wished his gay son would die in an accident. Do you know what exactly does that mean? How's that the same thing as advocating for a "middle ground"? Those are his own words, there's no Media distorting his views on that regard. He's very clear on what he says.
Brazil has a very high rate of LGBTQ murders - this is not a country in which gays "have too many rights".
About his "homofobia" (interview with Bolsonaro and members of the gay community):

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Does he have a gay son ? did he specifically say that he wished that specific son to die in an accident ?

Brazil has a very high rate of murders.... What is your evidence for a "very high rate of LGBTQ murders
?
He doesn't have a gay son, he was speaking hypothetically.

According to the organisation Grupo Gay de Bahia, which monitors LGBT hate crimes, there were a shocking 387 murders in 2017, an increase of 30% compared to 2016. While Brazil has a very high crime rate, the group says these murders were directly linked to homophobia or transphobia. This resurgence of homophobic crimes are connected with the spread and influence of Evangelical Christian organizations (mostly coming from America) in many societies across Brazil. There have been autos-de-fé where gays are burned alive in the middle of the street while the culprits recite the Holy Bible...
Of course, Brazil as a traditionally Catholic and Romance-speaking country was always homophobic, but the intrusion of fundamentalist American churches are giving homophobia a very brand new ideological militancy that sometimes will translate into acts of violence. That religious violence does not only directs against gays, Afro-Brazilian religions are also being targeted by those evangelical christian zealots.
Bolsonaro belongs to the camp of those evangelicals, it's his voting base, just like Erdogan in Turkey when it come to his relations with Islamists.

Last edited:

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Dont play that silly game with me please.. .Are you really that uninformed ???? And what, your google is broken ?
I live in China...I don't have access to Google, and my VPN stopped working a long time ago...

Google "Bolsonaro CNN Homophobic" you get half a dozen articles right away

Google for example "CNN Saudi Arabia homophobic " and you get .........
The homophobic legacy of the British Empire

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/11/asia/british-empire-lgbt-rights-section-377-intl/index.html

google "CNN muslim homophobic" and you get in addition to the above "Turkey: violent homophobia festers in Erdogan's shadows"

weellll CNN does not like Erdogan, what a surprise

You can repeat the same experiment with other media, BBC, etc... you get pretty much the same results....

Criticism of Bolsonaro... and Putin.... and Erdogan and anyone else they do not like with all kinds of accusations.... and mostly silence on the muslims countries where homophobia is not only real but actually crimimalized up to the death penalty
To be honest, I neither watch CNN, I don't trust them. I do follow British news such as the Guardian and sometimes BBC and Al Jazeera, and those media did discuss about homophobia in Muslim countries, specially in Iran. In fact, the Iranian regime is demonized incessantly, sometimes even unfairly, while the more conservative and oppressive Arab Gulf regimes usually are not in the news...

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Yes I agree most catholics are against gays, they also exist in my country, only they are mistreated with words and violence.
I am against violence, but I like to see gay men miles away.
Why? Do gays bother you that much?

For us Portuguese it is shameful to see a gay of Portuguese nationality.
And if my country is still behind on these communities it has to do with our religion.
Speak for yourself. I don't see it as shameful to see a gay of Portuguese nationality. Why should I care? I'm not him neither I have anything to do with him. Why should you care if a stranger who happens to have Portuguese nationality is gay or not?

Brazil is freer with the gay community than it is in Portugal.
It depends. Some parts of Brazil are extremely liberal, others are extremely conservative. Portugal is not polarized in that way.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011

According to the organisation Grupo Gay de Bahia, which monitors LGBT hate crimes, there were a shocking 387 murders in 2017, an increase of 30% compared to 2016. While Brazil has a very high crime rate, the group says these murders were directly linked to homophobia or transphobia. This resurgence of homophobic crimes are connected with the spread and influence of Evangelical Christian organizations (mostly coming from America) in many societies across Brazil. There have been autos-de-fé where gays are burned alive in the middle of the street while the culprits recite the Holy Bible...
Of course, Brazil as a traditionally Catholic and Romance-speaking country was always homophobic, but the intrusion of fundamentalist American churches are giving homophobia a very brand new ideological militancy that sometimes will translate into acts of violence. That religious violence does not only directs against gays, Afro-Brazilian religions are also being targeted by those evangelical christian zealots.
Bolsonaro belongs to the camp of those evangelicals, it's his voting base, just like Erdogan in Turkey when it come to his relations with Islamists.
LGBTXYZ groups are playing the victim card and they make these kinds of bogus claims all the time. 387 murders out of 65 000 is less than 1%! (0.6%).... This study claims LGBTXYZ are 8.35% of Brazilians

LGBT people in Brazil - Wikipedia

This means that the murder rate of LGBTXYZ is shocking indeed: 14 times LOWER than that of the general population.

In reality I would guess that LGBTXYZ are much less than 8.35% of the population (another common bogus claim of the LGBTXYZ militants is to inflate numbers significantly...... of course when you cross check the numbers and their competing bogus claims, their narrative collapses). But they would still be more than 1% of the population and therefore they have a lower murder rate than the general population.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Therefore, just like the media does, you have misrepresented his statement in order to make him look worse...

In reality, most straight fathers are/would be disappointed if their son(s) (and daughters as well) turns out to be gay..... And one simple reason for that is that most hope to have grand children some day...

Similar History Discussions