Britain's and France's attitudes towards decolonization on the eve of WWII

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Does anyone here know what Britain's and France's attitudes towards decolonization were on the eve of World War II in 1939?

I know that WWII ushered in a grand era of decolonization and that Britain and France declared war on Nazi Germany in order to protect Poland's independence, but I am wondering as to what Britain's and France's attitudes towards national self-determination for non-White peoples were at the start of WWII.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Dec 2018
Australia
They did have League of Nations mandates to bring the old Central Powers colonies to independence.
So it would have be there although, I wouldn't have a clue in what amount.
Very good question

Reactions: Futurist

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Mixed. Most poeple didn;t really care that much out, "liberal' Politicians often favored de-colonization more a board luke warm non-opposition than euthasitaic backing, , 'conservative' often fervently did not, but mainly a smaller core that were quite hard line, the "die hards" grouping in Britain. Know much more about Brittan than France.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
I believe that at around the start of WW II, the British hold on India had already loosened due mainly to the agitation for Freedom under the leadership of Gandhi plus random acts of terrorism. Britain had promised, under the Cripps mission, in 1946, for negotiating the terms of eventual Independence. The idea of this mission must have been under consideration of the British politicians for some time before that. I believe it was Clement Attlee who came to power just around the end of WW II was the mover behind this.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Mixed. Most poeple didn;t really care that much out, "liberal' Politicians often favored de-colonization more a board luke warm non-opposition than euthasitaic backing, , 'conservative' often fervently did not, but mainly a smaller core that were quite hard line, the "die hards" grouping in Britain. Know much more about Brittan than France.
I can’t make heads or tails out of this post.

Reactions: Baldtastic

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Today in not a few African countries they use money printed on behalf of the French Treasure. It's a free choice, but it soundes at least curious that Paris still control the monetary police of those countries [if you print the money ...]. Moreover, a stable and strong money means a loss of competitiveness by the local African producers ... and nice financial advantages for the local elites. It's the CFA Franc CFA franc - Wikipedia.

This currency exists since December 1945. So it's a clue about the attitude of Paris regarding the incoming decolonization: if you agree we will keep on controlling "your" money.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Today in not a few African countries they use money printed on behalf of the French Treasure. It's a free choice, but it soundes at least curious that Paris still control the monetary police of those countries [if you print the money ...]. Moreover, a stable and strong money means a loss of competitiveness by the local African producers ... and nice financial advantages for the local elites. It's the CFA Franc CFA franc - Wikipedia.

This currency exists since December 1945. So it's a clue about the attitude of Paris regarding the incoming decolonization: if you agree we will keep on controlling "your" money.
Interesting. Aren’t there one or two countries in the world that abandoned their currencies and adopted the US dollar for use in their daily lives?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Interesting. Aren’t there one or two countries in the world that abandoned their currencies and adopted the US dollar for use in their daily lives?
I think so, but it's not said it works ... remember Argentina which linked its currency unit to US dollar ... that was the main reason of the deadly economical crisis that the country had to face. And not in a far past.

For a developing country to link its own currency unit to the currency unit of a developed country can be a problem. My economical education tells me that until you are a developing country it's better for you to have your own weak and vulnerable currency unit.

I could even talk about Italy: until we had Lira we were the China of Europe. Once we linked Lira to German Frank we lost all ... Germans bought no more from Italian producers, but from Asian producers, real estates in Italy became incredibly expensive [they doubled their cost] and the real capability to spend of the common Italian diminished in a drastic way.