British and Germany rivalry early 20th century

Dec 2019
San Diego, CA
I am looking for books laying out the British and German relations and Naval build programs of the late 19th and early 20th century. I dont care about WW1 only material relating prior to 1914. I am also very interested in anything relating to the idea that Britain suppressed certain technologies before the war to ensure an upper hand.

The more indepth the better. I can put away a 1k book in about week so lots of titles are good.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
. I am also very interested in anything relating to the idea that Britain suppressed certain technologies before the war to ensure an upper hand.
Seeing the British were not intending to fight a war with Germany, why would they suppress anything ?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I am also very interested in anything relating to the idea that Britain suppressed certain technologies before the war to ensure an upper hand.
If the British were really interested in suppressing technology to maintain superiority over anyone, they would have never developed the dreadnought. Dreadnoughts rendered all previous battleships obsolete, effectively resetting the naval balance of power back to zero for all countries. Any country willing to build more dreadnoughts than Britain could have replaced the Royal Navy as the most powerful fleet in the world. The US would have done so in the 1920s without the Washington Naval Treaty that guaranteed the US and Britain would have same-sized navies.

May 2019
Northern and Western hemispheres
As Chlodio said Dreadnaught is a good read. There's a Time-Life book on WWI warships and naval battles that might or might not be by the same author. When I read it some of things it covered were Admiral Jacky Fisher, Dogger Bank, and Jutland.

May 2019
Northern and Western hemispheres
Wasn't someone from the Kaiser's family related to someone from the royal family in Britain?

Jul 2019
New Jersey
It's worth reading Churchill's account of the naval buildup to WWI, him having ended up in the Admiralty and all.

Reactions: Chlodio
Jan 2020
cumberstone
I think it was an exaggerated phenomenon, which worked only for some years in Britain. British economic and military experts pointed out, that a country (like Germany) could not maintain and develop the strongest continental army and build the strongest fleet at the same time. It is simply not possible. Germany was primaly a continental military power for very fundamental geopolitical reasons. So if the Germans really had to compete with the British, the Germans would curble the budget of their field army in such a degree, that it causes basic national security problems for them in the future. And Yes, the British figured that out clearly, so when we speak about the eve of WW1, this German naval-race argument had no serious role anymore for the British geopolitical decision makers.

The US - British naval-race of the interwar period caused serious headache for the British decision makers, because the British knew very well that the Americans had the potential to build a much more stronger fleet and outperform the British navy in every sense, without the risk of American national security (Because the USA had the Ocean Shield, so the Americans did not fear from the large continental field armies of European great powers)

Last edited: