British Auxiliary Legion in Spain (1835-1837)

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
One thing I did find is that they were paid for by the Spanish, and were, Royal Marine and navy excepted, in Spanish pay rolls. So they may not have official records in the UK... you might need to look in Spanish archives if they haven’t lost them.

Britain is quite fortunate in that it has historic records in tact. I know WW1 and 2 did a lot to lose and damage much French, Russian and German information. I have no idea if the Spanish civil war did the same.

If the Spanish archives have a military/defence section that covers Foriegn troops ... it might be worth looking there.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
One thing I did find is that they were paid for by the Spanish, and were, Royal Marine and navy excepted, in Spanish pay rolls. So they may not have official records in the UK... you might need to look in Spanish archives if they haven’t lost them.

Britain is quite fortunate in that it has historic records in tact. I know WW1 and 2 did a lot to lose and damage much French, Russian and German information. I have no idea if the Spanish civil war did the same.

If the Spanish archives have a military/defence section that covers Foriegn troops ... it might be worth looking there.

Yes Edric lot of archives. I don´t know if British official records had something about BL... I guees yes.. because British Legion was a kind of Blue Division...a "non-official" intervention... did with volunteers" many came from Regular Army . So I am sure we can find something in British Archives.

Spanish archives are full of documents....so I guess yes... they had different sections.

For example about Navy (Real Armada) you can find:

Archivo General de la Marina "Álvaro de Bazán" (14 Billions documents)
Archivo del Museo Naval (900 millions documents)
Archivo Naval del Ferrol (10 Billions)
Archivo Naval de Cartagena (17 Billions)
Archivo Naval de San Fernando (2 Billions = 2.000.000.000)
Archivo Naval de Canarias (2,22 billions)
Archivo Central del CGA (3,5 Billions)
Fondos Navales del Archivo General de la Administración (7 Billions).

These documents about Navy. Source: Galende Díaz, Juan Carlos (Coord). Archivos y documentos de la defensa. Los archivos Históricos de la Armada. Madrid. 2018.

Sincerely.. I think a human life is not enough to read each paper in the Spanish Naval archives. And I guess... Spanish Army archives.. will be similar...

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
I agree with Martin, the Spanish archives are full of files of easy access. I'm of the opinion this must be in other different archives to Navy

Reactions: martin76

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
There was nobody better at recording stuff than the Spanish. Phillip II and later Olivares had a whole army of people dedicated to it and the tradition seems to have descended through the centuries even to the town halls today.

If it wasn't destroyed in war, it is there somewhere!!

Reactions: martin76

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
There was nobody better at recording stuff than the Spanish. Phillip II and later Olivares had a whole army of people dedicated to it and the tradition seems to have descended through the centuries even to the town halls today.

If it wasn't destroyed in war, it is there somewhere!!

I agree. there are volumes and volumes... for example about correspondance with Audience of Quito!!! during Philip III... so you can image... from 15th to 21st Century!

SJP

Nov 2019
England
Many thanks again to all who have replied - my next step is to contact archives in Spain and see where that leads me. I will post the responses I receive from the archives. Thanks again

Reactions: Edric Streona