British itv series "Victoria"

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Over the last few years I've learned the tragedy of "The Hunger"was not quite as simple some claim. There were in fact English landlords who did what they could to help their starving tenants.. A major problem was a lack of infrastructure, such as roads. Near impossible to get relief to some areas.--or is that simply British revisionism?
The main reason so many died was the particular potato monoculture on which small plot tenants depended for their diet. It provide enough calories to live while they worked the larger holdings. Ireland also produced oats, wheat and animal products that continued to be exported. This was the biggest issue. The Whig government was committed to laissez faire economics and England had to be fed too.

Season 2 Episode 4 is about the famine and is the best, if saddest, episode of whole series so far and likely to remain so.

Victoria Season 2, Episode 4 Recap: Famine in Ireland | Blog | THIRTEEN - New York Public Media

Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
In season 3 episode 2 we see the climax of the Chartist uprising. Actual history indicates it was less violent than depicted. Victoria gave birth in March and the demonstrations were in April. About 30,000 Chartists showed up. 100,000 were expected. They were confined to south of the Thames and later delivered their demands to Parliament through the back door. Nothing much changed and the movement died out because of lack support from the growing middle class. The royal family did leave for the Isle of Wight without protest before the crowds came. The King of France never stayed in the Palace. There was no cache of rifles and if there were, Palmerston didn't do it:oops:

The most dramatic moment of the episode was when the Queen ordered the coach to stop, stepped onto the street, and demanded that Duke of Wellington allow the leading Chartists to march peacefully to Parliament to deliver their demands.The Duke bows his head and says "Yes Your Majesty''. It was beautiful but it never happened. I can't find anything about Victoria's obnoxious half sister. She did have an older half sister and half bother (Carl) but they didn't make much history.

BBC - History - British History in depth: The Chartist Movement 1838 - 1848
I finally watched this episode. It was absolutely silly and reasonably boring as well. Surely there are themes or incidents in Victoria's life at the time which could be dramatised rather than making up a ridiculous plot in which a Chartist maid has easy access to the Queen so that when the maid accidentally runs into the undercover agent who planted guns in the Chartist offices she tells the Queen, who figures out the plot despite the fact that the PM and Foreign Secretary baldfacedly lie to her face!

Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
Stevev,

OK, you successfully refuted my critical judgment on the "boring". I did not sufficiently acclaim the deeply passionate performances that built to stunning emotional climaxes like that scene.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Season 3 episode 6

At least one thing is true in this episode. The young Prince of Wales did undergo a phrenology exam (probably more than one). He was found to have a deficiency in the area of the "intellect" and a disposition toward rebellious and irrational behavior. Of course the examiners knew about these suspicions before the exam. ;) Albert was upset and sure it came from Victoria's family and the bright first born "Vicky" followed his family. George III did become insane after 1810 following a period of decline. However prior to this he demonstrated at least average intelligence since childhood and was considered a competent if not outstanding king.

When "Bertie" finally become king in 1901 he was considered effective and popular; his compulsive womanizing not withstanding.

'Victoria' Recap: Season 3 Episode 6 Recap

Last edited:

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Season 3 Episode 7

If one ignores the presence of made up characters like Feodora and Sofie, this episode was fairly accurate historically. Feodora was Victoria's half sister but she only visited occasionally. After Albert died she visited to console Victoria but couldn't take her extreme grief and returned to Germany. There is no evidence that I know of to justify her portrayal as the scheming character in the drama. As for Sofie, the Queen's actual lady was the Duchess of Sutherland who returned with the new Whig government.

Here is the writer's own claim of what is historically true in this episode.

Victoria Season 3, Episode 7: Fact or Fiction?

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
I'd be interested. The main thing I know is that Melbourne was old and fat and unlikely to be the object of romantic interest implied in the series. Otherwise, there's lot I rather doubt, but haven't checked.
She probably loved him as a father-figure... living with such a meddling mother, she would have enjoyed another almost parental perspective, I guess.

But geez, Rufus Sewell playing a horribly Byronic (pun intended) hero is enough to make a person wish Victoria went for Melbourne and not Albert... if only for more Rufus screen time. ;)

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
She probably loved him as a father-figure... living with such a meddling mother, she would have enjoyed another almost parental perspective, I guess.

But geez, Rufus Sewell playing a horribly Byronic (pun intended) hero is enough to make a person wish Victoria went for Melbourne and not Albert... if only for more Rufus screen time. ;)
There are images of Victoria and Melbourne together. It was controversial. Victoria was called Mrs Melbourne and a Whig partisan. One biographer did say the attraction was sexual "if she only knew." However her diaries tell a different story. For her, he was a father figure. She writes very differently about her "crushes" : the Russian Grand Duke Alexander, Ernst (Albert's older brother) and later Albert himself.

Last edited:

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Season 3 Episode 8

So is Prince Albert dead? In the last minute of the last episode the Prince collapses and Victoria cannot revive him. It's not even clear there will be a Season 4. Give us a break! Historically Albert lives another 10 years. Of course that doesn't mean the scriptwriter wouldn't kill Albert off on a whim. She (Daisy Goodwin) doesn't like him very much anyway. So everyone needs to sign up to become sustaining members so there can be a Season 4. If there is then I think Albert will survive and die when he is supposed to (more or less). There's still the Crimean War (which Albert opposed and was accused of treason), two more children, a massive rebellion in India, and nearly a war with the US (Trent Affair). Also Parliament never gave Albert the title Prince Consort. Victoria had to do it herself in 1857. I wonder why she waited so long.

Similar History Discussions