British itv series "Victoria"

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Coleman is one of those fortunate people that look much younger than they are. She could easily pass for a 25 year old, which she easily accomplished in the series. That is likely to set an upper limit on theatrical aging.
Anna Neagle played Victoria in the 1937 movie "Victoria the Great" from youth to old age:

Stock Photo - Anna Neagle as Queen Victoria in the musical "Glorious Days". March 1953 D1070A-003

Of course this picture was 16 years after the movie. I saw the actual movie on youtube but I couldn't find a picture of her as the aged queen. I remember her face was caked with makeup. It wasn't very convincing.

Last edited:

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Anna Neagle played Victoria in the 1937 movie "Victoria the Great" from youth to old age:

Stock Photo - Anna Neagle as Queen Victoria in the musical "Glorious Days". March 1953 D1070A-003

Of course this picture was 16 years after the movie. I saw the actual movie on youtube but I couldn't find a picture of her as the aged queen. I remember her face was caked with makeup. It wasn't very convincing.
I think the producers would choose "convincing" for the current series.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA

A photo of Victoria in the late 1850s as she was making the transition from youth to middle age. There are fewer such images in this period compared to the Queen at more advanced age. The caption (not shown) says the boy is Prince Arthur, born in 1850.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
London, centre of my world
She probably loved him as a father-figure... living with such a meddling mother, she would have enjoyed another almost parental perspective, I guess.

But geez, Rufus Sewell playing a horribly Byronic (pun intended) hero is enough to make a person wish Victoria went for Melbourne and not Albert... if only for more Rufus screen time. ;)
In this new series, Lord Palmerston is depicted as a rakish 40-year old, played by Laurence Fox. It's set in 1848, when the real Palmerston was 64. Ho-hum.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
In this new series, Lord Palmerston is depicted as a rakish 40-year old, played by Laurence Fox. It's set in 1848, when the real Palmerston was 64. Ho-hum.
Yes. If you were running the show, would you look for an actor that looked more like this?

Last edited:

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Well, I'd pick an actor closer to the real persons age.
The actor Peter Bowles, who plays Wellington, is a little bit older than the original was in the 1840s, so it can be done.
Of course it could be done. Why did they choose Rufus Sewell to play the 58 year old Lord Melbourne and include a scene where Victoria proposes to (or propositions) him.? It's a television drama done with high production value (and costs). "Vicbourne" set off a host of stories on youtube and boosted ratings in the UK and US. They could have made a documentary which would be absolutely historical but not on the scale of the series. Melbourne would be fat and fall asleep in church. Victoria would have a receding chin and vary between being too thin or too plump. She would propose to Albert, but never to Melbourne. I would watch it, but I probably wouldn't have started a thread.

Last edited:

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Of course it could be done. Why did they choose Rufus Sewell to play the 58 year old Lord Melbourne and include a scene where Victoria proposes to (or propositions) him.? It's a television drama done with high production value (and costs). "Vicbourne" set off a host of stories on youtube and boosted ratings in the UK and US. They could have made a documentary which would be absolutely historical but not on the scale of the series. Melbourne would be fat and fall asleep in church. Victoria would have a receding chin and vary between being too thin or too plump. She would propose to Albert, but never to Melbourne. I would watch it, but I probably wouldn't have started a thread.
Agreed. The production costs are too high to ignore what the viewing public (younger included) demands.

The Melbourne-Victoria relationship was the only reason to watch. (Aside of course from purely prurient attention that Missus Skeritt elicits, that is.)

Sep 2012
London, centre of my world
I'm not even going to mention the arrival of Princess Feodora, Victoria's half-sister.

Mrs. Occams is incensed because she looks like she's after a bit of Prince Albert, the hussy.
I did point out that it's not what happened and they were very estranged etc., but I might as well have just shouted at the moon.

Still, it's better than yet another police drama.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
As of this report dated yesterday, Season 4 is still not certain. Ms Goodwin is nevertheless writing the script. Jenna Coleman's role is also not decided. Judging from the photo (post 73) Victoria does not yet look aged enough to exclude Coleman IMO. However it is a low resolution photo which can hide signs of aging. Based on the child (born in 1850) I judge the year to be about 1857, a good part of the ten year interval (1851-1861) to be covered. So I think Coleman could do it. Victoria is known to have aged considerably after Albert's death on 14 Dec 1861.

'Victoria' Season 4 News, Casting & Spoilers - Everything We Know About 'Victoria' Season 4

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions