British itv series "Victoria"

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA

This photo I believe was made fairly soon after Albert's death, possibly that Christmas. Despite her grief, she was active in 1862 making arrangements for the marriage of Bertie to Princess Alexandra of Denmark and making an an extended visit to Coburg.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
London, centre of my world
The latest series is definitely moving towards being aimed at the ladies.

Hunky footmen, tempted duchesses, trouble with the kids, rakish Foreign Secretaries; last night they even had a sensitive doctor - John Snow, the man who discovered that cholera was water-borne.
Apparently he and Queen Vic met to solve the cause of the 1854 epidemic (yes, just the two of them). In actuality he was her anaesthetist during her childbirth in 1853.

As sticking to the facts go, it's close enough for me.

Reactions: stevev

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
The latest series is definitely moving towards being aimed at the ladies.

Hunky footmen, tempted duchesses, trouble with the kids, rakish Foreign Secretaries; last night they even had a sensitive doctor - John Snow, the man who discovered that cholera was water-borne.
Apparently he and Queen Vic met to solve the cause of the 1854 epidemic (yes, just the two of them). In actuality he was her anaesthetist during her childbirth in 1853.

As sticking to the facts go, it's close enough for me.
John Snow was her anaestethist who also solved the cholera problem in 1854. Victoria was involved in the former, but not in the latter although she did support him against the wrath of the medical establishment. However the drama has her doing this in 1849, not 1854, but what's 5 Years for good story. She even invited him in for tea . BTW Florence Nightingale really looks very much like the real person.

https://www.biography.com/.image/ar_1:1,c_fill,cs_srgb,g_face,q_auto:good,w_300/MTE5NTU2MzE2MzMwMjk2ODQz/florence-nightingale-9423539-1-402.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kotromanic
Sep 2012
London, centre of my world
John Snow was her anaestethist who also solved the cholera problem in 1854. Victoria was involved in the former, but not in the latter although she did support him against the wrath of the medical establishment. However the drama has her doing this in 1849, not 1854, but what's 5 Years for good story. She even invited him in for tea . BTW Florence Nightingale really looks very much like the real person.

https://www.biography.com/.image/ar_1:1,c_fill,cs_srgb,g_face,q_auto:good,w_300/MTE5NTU2MzE2MzMwMjk2ODQz/florence-nightingale-9423539-1-402.jpg
Ahh yeah, I forgot about Flo.
It's all getting a bit namechecky, I mean this Florence Nightingale, was she in Scutari or Soho in 1854/1849/whatever?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
This photo is labeled 1858 but Victoria is alone and wearing black. When Albert was alive she was photographed almost always with with him or with one or more of her children. It's less than 4 years difference and mistakes have been made in dating early photos. In any case it's evidence that Jenna Coleman could probably play the queen until Albert's death.

Stock Photo - Queen Victoria(1819-1901), pictured here in 1858

Last edited:

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Sure, when Albert passed she was no older than 42, I think he passed very late in the year 1861.

Coleman could play a woman in her fifties it is just a matter of her patience to put on the necessary makeup, in my opinion.

Reactions: Edratman

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Sure, when Albert passed she was no older than 42, I think he passed very late in the year 1861.

Coleman could play a woman in her fifties it is just a matter of her patience to put on the necessary makeup, in my opinion.
Anna Neagle played Victoria from 18 to 80 in 1937 (Victoria the Great) but the caked makeup was ridiculous. She looked like someone just thew a custard pie at her face. I think the current series will end dramatically with Albert's death. I don't think the series could hold a large audience after that although I would watch it. Nevertheless it seems they do have others in mind to follow Jenna Coleman, presumably after Albert's death. They might skip some time and restart with Mr Brown.:winktongue:

Jenna Coleman will be replaced on Victoria

Last edited:

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
It is one thing for an actor to apply makeup and devices to age for a scene or two in a movie and it is a whole different level of demand to do it every day for a TV series. The producers are undoubtedly comfortable with recasting the role.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
It is one thing for an actor to apply makeup and devices to age for a scene or two in a movie and it is a whole different level of demand to do it every day for a TV series. The producers are undoubtedly comfortable with recasting the role.
I'm still asserting that Coleman can play a role of someone twice her age. Whether the BBC is willing to fund the expense and labor needed to see is their business. But I can see how the necessary hours might hinder the flexibility of the director on the set.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I'm still asserting that Coleman can play a role of someone twice her age. Whether the BBC is willing to fund the expense and labor needed to see is their business. But I can see how the necessary hours might hinder the flexibility of the director on the set.
I think Ms Coleman probably enjoyed playing a teenager but a fifty year old woman, probably not so much.