British (or other) Army Officers with marks on their record

Feb 2018
Manchester
Hello, I am new to these forums and am seeking some help from those of you who are more learned than me when it comes to military history!

I have been tasked with finding some Army Officers who have had disciplinary problems before going on to do great things. An example would be Field Marshall Montgomery who was almost expelled from Sandhurst due to his quite serious misbehaviour, but we all know what he went on to accomplish!

It is really important for me to get some other examples of similar cases, British officers would be best but if there are examples of soldiers or high achieving personal from other military's I would be glad to hear them too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Sir Thomas Picton. He commanded the 3rd Division through Spain and was killed leading the imitation 3rd Division at Waterloo. He was arrested and brought to trial on charges of have a young mulatto girl tortured for helping her boyfriend burgle a house. His whole career in Trinidad was marked by brutality.

Feb 2018
Manchester
Hi Edric, thanks for your response.
I was thinking more along the lines of those who have had disciplinary problems early on in their career, maybe made a mistake but avoided being kicked out the Army, and have then gone on to achieve greatness later on.

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Well, Churchill pushed his illustriative linage to the breaking point as a Junior Officer. He was arguably AWOL on several occasions, and managed to turn leaves into opportunities to escape his regular regimental duties. He pursued glory and publicity more than "mere" advancement, and yet was First Secretary of the Navy by the Great War. The problems encountered in the Dardenells were laid at his door, with some justification, but he had to wait for the onset of the Second World War to become PM where he directed the UK war effort in some detail. This isn't entirely on point, but his place in history was cemented after being having his book blotted on several occasions.

Feb 2018
Manchester
Well, Churchill pushed his illustriative linage to the breaking point as a Junior Officer. He was arguably AWOL on several occasions, and managed to turn leaves into opportunities to escape his regular regimental duties. He pursued glory and publicity more than "mere" advancement, and yet was First Secretary of the Navy by the Great War. The problems encountered in the Dardenells were laid at his door, with some justification, but he had to wait for the onset of the Second World War to become PM where he directed the UK war effort in some detail. This isn't entirely on point, but his place in history was cemented after being having his book blotted on several occasions.
Thanks for your reply. Do you have a link or know of anywhere on the internet I can read more about this? Not having much luck atm!

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...
General Bennett of the 8th Australian division that was captured in Singapore in 1942, he escaped and returned to Australia, but his career floundered after that, and was charged with leaving his command in a court of enquiry.