Britons, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
No, celtic is not an ethnic british identity. It's a culture which has it's origins in south germany and spread through europe. Britons were just certain groups of R1b people who's origins are in the steppes of russia, mixed with the G neolithic farmers who's origins were from anatolia present turkey, who were mixed with some european mesolithic hunter gatherers. There were migrations of R1b people from iberia to ireland too, but english neolithic people were for sure completely replaced by bell beakers from netherlands, and it's proven by dna.
And all germanic peoples have their earliest origins in southern sweden where germanic culture was born.
DNA is a banned subject on Historum. Too few people understand it, and it tends to generate unresolvable conflict.

Aug 2019
Netherlands
DNA is a banned subject on Historum. Too few people understand it, and it tends to generate unresolvable conflict.
I hope that is a joke. A history forum where dna is left out in historic discussions is like trying to drive a car without wheels. There should be a chapter on this forum where dna is explained to a certain basic level in this kind of context.

Last edited:

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
I hope that is a joke. A history forum where dna is left out in historic discussions is like trying to drive a car without wheels. There should be a chapter on this forum where dna is explained to a certain basic level in this kind of context.
You should probable directly adress the mods outside the forum, if you want to argue for some kind of petition to change this.

Aug 2018
America
No, celtic is not an ethnic british identity. It's a culture which has it's origins in south germany and spread through europe. Britons were just certain groups of R1b people who's origins are in the steppes of russia, mixed with the G neolithic farmers who's origins were from anatolia present turkey, who were mixed with some european mesolithic hunter gatherers. There were migrations of R1b people from iberia to ireland too, but english neolithic people were for sure completely replaced by bell beakers from netherlands, and it's proven by dna.
And all germanic peoples have their earliest origins in southern sweden where germanic culture was born.
1) Nowhere did I use the term "ethnicity" so I don't know why you start talking about the differences between "culture" and "ethnicity".
2) There's a Celtic League, a political organisation of all the British peoples who identify as Celts, including the Welsh and the Cornish who are the direct descendants, linguistically at least, of the Britons.
3) I explicitly said the Britons didn't originate in Britain, I said they originated in France and Spain and then migrated to Britain. Nor did I say the *Celts* as a whole originated in France and Spain, only the Britons, a subgroup of the Celts, specifically.
4) I never said the Britons were the pre-Celtic "neolithic" peoples of Britain, and I know that there was a pre-Celtic population, the one that built Stonehenge and Silbury Hill, and that would mix up with the Celtic Briton migrants.