Brown Face, Black Face, White Face, Greek Comedy Masks

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
if I have to confess something more than racist ... once I participated to a carnival festival in Italy looking like an alien showing a really racist attitude towards mankind, regardless the color of the skin on this Earth. If your skin is not blue, your eyes are not orange and you've got a nose [the Aliens I met hadn't a nose!] ... I don't like you ...

Reactions: stevev

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
if I have to confess something more than racist ... once I participated to a carnival festival in Italy looking like an alien showing a really racist attitude towards mankind, regardless the color of the skin on this Earth. If your skin is not blue, your eyes are not orange and you've got a nose [the Aliens I met hadn't a nose!] ... I don't like you ...
I know you're joking, but it's true. We humans never get invited to galactic parties. We have a bad reputation in the Milky Way.

Last edited:

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
No one mentioned Benny Hill ; black face , me so solly Chinese, and sexism ... all rolled into one ;)

I particularly liked the white painted brown face above, and makes a good point ..... well, two good points

I used to do a lot of stuff with Aboriginals , we both made jokes about each others color , no issues there - we also made jokes about all the stupid modern political correctness . One time we where doing a ceremony , they paint themselves with a feathery casuruna branch brush with white clay slurry , they did me and " Hey ! It doesn't show up, he's too white ." so they painted me black with a charcoal mix first, and then painted me white on top . It caused hilarity amongst them and I thought it was funny too .

I cant fail to notice the amount of white people in Australia ( especially before the skin cancer scare ) that spend time on the beach doing absolutely nothing but but trying to turn their skin brown .

Recently I was in a pristine world heritage area, walking along the beach, occasionally picking up rubbish , mostly cigarette butts and assorted plastics . I noticed a largish black plastic tray of some sort, when I picked it up I realized it was an empty face make up tray with 6 compartments in it .

When I got near town I was dumping my collection in a street bin and an Aboriginal women noticed ;

"Oh, you clean up the beach ?"

" Yeah .... people ! Look what someone took to the beach and left behind ." and showed her the make up tray " What ? White people been going down the beach and 'painting up' ? "

She laughed and said " That's pretty funny ."

Yes, often , it seems , it is 'others' that are more offended . Or, the reverse ; ' token consideration ' or 'acknowledgement ' .

...... like a plaque on your house saying we acknowledge it is on the traditional Aboriginal land of the .......... people .

- yet they would not even offer them a cup of tea .... well, some might ;)

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
if I have to confess something more than racist ... once I participated to a carnival festival in Italy looking like an alien showing a really racist attitude towards mankind, regardless the color of the skin on this Earth. If your skin is not blue, your eyes are not orange and you've got a nose [the Aliens
I met hadn't a nose!] ... I don't like you ...

I remember an old Star Trek epissode ; they landed on a planet of people that had ( very bad makeup consisting of ) one side of their face (and body, I suppose) black and the other white . They crew marveled at how they had solved the problem of racism and how fair it was there .

Then the aliens caught a criminal and made a big noise about it and displayed him, and said what a dirty undeveloped criminal type he was .

The crew asked " How can you tell , he looks the same as all of you ?"

" What ! What is wrong with you people ? You can plainly see that this man is white on the left and black on the right , and we are all white on the right and black on the left ! "

( where there is a will thee is a way , they say )

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I know you're joking, but it's true. We humans never get invited to galactic parties. We have a bad reputation in the Milky Way.
And Jedi Knights don't help us enough about this!

And I called my dog "Obi wan Kenobi"!

I have to talk with Jedi Knights ...

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
It is a funny phenomena. One thing I see is people getting outraged on behalf of other people.

Yes, it is rather strange..... People are mostly selfish, so it is not clear why those who are not part of a minority get so vocal "defending" that minority (and often times that minority itself does not care at all about the issue, or cares much less than those who are vocal about the issue though they are not part of the minority)

or perhaps it is a sort of "well I can't do this so anyone else who does it must be bad" reasoning ? or is it a sense of power "I can force these guys to do my bidding by launching accusations at them" ?

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC
Yes, it is rather strange..... People are mostly selfish, so it is not clear why those who are not part of a minority get so vocal "defending" that minority (and often times that minority itself does not care at all about the issue, or cares much less than those who are vocal about the issue though they are not part of the minority)

or perhaps it is a sort of "well I can't do this so anyone else who does it must be bad" reasoning ? or is it a sense of power "I can force these guys to do my bidding by launching accusations at them" ?
just in case things are muddled in the discussion: it is a white people group A hate for white people group B.

The tactic is to use any group X (minority, religion, gender, sexual identity, immigrants, and the silent environment of our planet), tell group X that ALL their problems are not individual but systematic Group B exclusive-fault; Then, attempt to empower the radical, vocal, and intolerant elements of said group(s) in an attempt to self validate, then attempt to silence members of such group who exhibit any natural human inclination to have a disagreeing opinion.

1-Shows their own bigotry: it completely displays a paternal lack of respect to people as individual and as groups.
2-Shows their disdain for self-reflection by others and hinders any intra-group discussion about internal issues/problems/aspirations said group might want.

It is still colonialist in its' mindset while also exhibiting an ideological disdain for measured ranking individuals on anything (job applications, schools, sports, credit score, ..etc). I will leave you to the origin of said disdain, a disdain that has finally figured that no matter what measure we use for anything, there will be people in the top half and people in the bottom half.

I have not figured out which group the brown-face is supposed to represent in this instance.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas

I think it is a mix of both. The Canadian thing is 100% politically motivated

And the door definitely does not swing both ways. As an immigrant to the US, I have to deal with endless Steve Irwin, Croc Dundee and Fosters beer jokes about Australia. Or we could go to the extreme and boycott Larry The Cable Guy. A man who acts as a stupid ignorant opinionated Southern redneck, who in reality is a highly articulate college educated Nebraskan.

But apparently that does not offend the right people.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
I think it is a mix of both. The Canadian thing is 100% politically motivated

And the door definitely does not swing both ways. As an immigrant to the US, I have to deal with endless Steve Irwin, Croc Dundee and Fosters beer jokes about Australia. Or we could go to the extreme and boycott Larry The Cable Guy. A man who acts as a stupid ignorant opinionated Southern redneck, who in reality is a highly articulate college educated Nebraskan.

But apparently that does not offend the right people.
Oh I am sure there are politics behind this Canadian affair... BUT those politics could not happen IF such stories did not get immediate traction... Personnally, if someone dressed up as a character from my country and painted his face, I would find it funny and maybe even take it as a show of respect..... certainly not as a show of disrespect or racism (unless of course it was done with ill intent)

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
just in case things are muddled in the discussion: it is a white people group A hate for white people group B.

The tactic is to use any group X (minority, religion, gender, sexual identity, immigrants, and the silent environment of our planet), tell group X that ALL their problems are not individual but systematic Group B exclusive-fault; Then, attempt to empower the radical, vocal, and intolerant elements of said group(s) in an attempt to self validate, then attempt to silence members of such group who exhibit any natural human inclination to have a disagreeing opinion.

1-Shows their own bigotry: it completely displays a paternal lack of respect to people as individual and as groups.
2-Shows their disdain for self-reflection by others and hinders any intra-group discussion about internal issues/problems/aspirations said group might want.

It is still colonialist in its' mindset while also exhibiting an ideological disdain for measured ranking individuals on anything (job applications, schools, sports, credit score, ..etc). I will leave you to the origin of said disdain, a disdain that has finally figured that no matter what measure we use for anything, there will be people in the top half and people in the bottom half.

I have not figured out which group the brown-face is supposed to represent in this instance.
Apparently he was costumed as Aladdin or some such.... Aladdin is currently presumed to be from the M/E (probably Baghdad or perhaps Aleppo) thanks mostly to Disney, and I would wager you did not feel insulted by his costume... However I've been reading up on the Aladdin tale and it seems originally ole Aladdin was from a city in China.... So now the chinese community can perhaps chime in and pretent to be offendeed
Although of course, Koreans, Japanese and Chinese dont seem to qualify for all this offending stuff

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/05/233443/is-aladdin-true-story-real-legend

Aladdin is one of the best known stories in Scheherazade's oeuvre — but it wasn't there originally. Aladdin, along with Ali Baba, is one of One Thousand and One Night's "orphan tales." They weren't a part of the initial Arabic text. Rather, they were added to a 1712 edition by the French translator Antoine Galland. Galland claimed he got the story from a Syrian man, Hanna Diyab.

Diyab's identity remained mysterious until 1993, when Diyab's memoirs were discovered in the Vatican library. According to cultural historian Arafat Razzaque, Diyab's rags-to-riches story actually may have resembled Aladdin's. Like Aladdin, Diyab wanted to own a market stall; like Aladdin, he longed to be a part of the upper echelons of society. And it happened for him. After meeting French explorer Paul Lucas, the young Diyab was pulled along on Lucas' quest for treasure (just like Aladdin was). Eventually, he ended up in France, where he met Galland and told him the "story of the lamp."

The original Aladdin is surprisingly different from the Disney version we know today. For one, it's set in China. "In early Arabic usage, China was often just a symbol for a faraway land, as in the famous saying attributed to the Prophet: 'Seek knowledge even as far as China.' It is in this sense of an abstract, exotic place that China tends to appear in the Nights," Razzaque wrote in an article for Ajam Media Collection.

In early European adaptations of the story, Aladdin was depicted as being Chinese. Victorian illustrations gave Aladdin the long braided queue typical of the the Manchurian dynasty; British stage productions set the play in China. Disney, however, modeled its Aladdin from the movie The Thief of Baghdad (1940) and transplanted the story to a fictional Middle Eastern city.