Brunei to expand use of Sharia law

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
And was Anwar stoned?

And in fact, Anwar was NOT tried under Shariah law. He was tried under Malaysia's federal laws, which ban both hetero and homosexual sodomy and oral sex, a holdover of British colonial law.
Nonsense. You cant blame whitey for this one. It is not like the 90's, 00's and all the rest past them by. I don't see Canada or Australia stoning people

Reactions: Futurist

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/02/asia/brunei-lgbt-inhumane-stoning-laws-intl/index.html

Zain says it's not just the LGBT community that will be threatened by these laws.
"Everyone is affected. It's just going to be a horrible life living there, even if you're not LGBT," Zain says. "Women especially would be at a big disadvantage there." The new law also punishes adultery among heterosexual couples with death by stoning.

The new penal code was implemented by the Sultan of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah, who also acts as the country's prime minister.

Shahiran S. Shahrani, fled Brunei in October as he awaited a verdict in his trial for sedition, which he was charged with after making a critical post about the government on Facebook.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/29/asia/george-clooney-brunei-lgbt-intl/index.html

"Every single time we stay at, or take meetings at or dine at any of these nine hotels we are putting money directly into the pockets of men who choose to stone and whip to death their own citizens for being gay or accused of adultery," he said.

Reactions: Spartakus X

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Brunei enacts new penal code as sultan calls for 'stronger' Islam

It stipulates the death penalty for a number of offences, including rape, adultery, sodomy, robbery and insulting or defaming the Prophet Muhammad.

It also introduces public flogging as punishment for abortion as well as amputation for theft and criminalises exposing Muslim children to the beliefs and practices of any religion other than Islam.

The laws will make Brunei the first country in East or Southeast Asia to impose the new penal code at the national level, joining several mostly Middle Eastern countries, such as Saudi Arabia.

Al Jazeera in true media cover up and bad faith fashion manages to write a whole article on the topic carefully avoiding any mention at all that this could be related to Islam.... Its "a new penal code".... Also the article disappeared from the front page at record speed....

I wonder what the above mentionned "Middle Eastern" countries could have in common... I seem to have it on the tip of my tongue.....

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Off-topic, but does anyone think that it's really weird that the picture caption for this thread is a yellow smiley? I mean, this thread talks about Brunei being extremely brutal, and yet this thread has an extremely happy picture caption.

Brunei enacts new penal code as sultan calls for 'stronger' Islam

It stipulates the death penalty for a number of offences, including rape, adultery, sodomy, robbery and insulting or defaming the Prophet Muhammad.

It also introduces public flogging as punishment for abortion as well as amputation for theft and criminalises exposing Muslim children to the beliefs and practices of any religion other than Islam.

The laws will make Brunei the first country in East or Southeast Asia to impose the new penal code at the national level, joining several mostly Middle Eastern countries, such as Saudi Arabia.

Al Jazeera in true media cover up and bad faith fashion manages to write a whole article on the topic carefully avoiding any mention at all that this could be related to Islam.... Its "a new penal code".... Also the article disappeared from the front page at record speed....

I wonder what the above mentionned "Middle Eastern" countries could have in common... I seem to have it on the tip of my tongue.....
Islam definitely has some problems that it needs to urgently fix. Attempting to dismiss criticism of Islam or of Muslim countries as Islamophobic is terrible because it makes it harder for people who genuinely want to reform Islam to actually do this. :( If you're not going to admit that there's a problem, how exactly can you propose a solution?

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Off-topic, but does anyone think that it's really weird that the picture caption for this thread is a yellow smiley? I mean, this thread talks about Brunei being extremely brutal, and yet this thread has an extremely happy picture caption.
I think its just the avatar of the poster who started the thread.... The avatar of the of the thread starter shows for each thread

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Indonesia is about to pass a law that would criminalize sex outside of marriage - CNN

And now neighboring Indonesia -allegedly a democracy- , which already has a nightmare medieval province with Shariah law and corporal punishment, is moving in the same direction

Indonesia is set to pass a highly controversial new penal code that would criminalize consensual sex outside of marriage and effectively outlaw same-sex relations, in a move rights groups have criticized as a violation of basic rights

Slippery slope and all that

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011

An Indonesian man has been publicly flogged for adultery, under a draconian law he helped create.
Mukhlis, a member of the Aceh Ulema Council (MPU) in the deeply conservative Aceh province of Indonesia, received 28 lashes in front of a crowd on Thursday after being caught having an affair with a married woman.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal

An Indonesian man has been publicly flogged for adultery, under a draconian law he helped create.
Mukhlis, a member of the Aceh Ulema Council (MPU) in the deeply conservative Aceh province of Indonesia, received 28 lashes in front of a crowd on Thursday after being caught having an affair with a married woman.
You reap what you sow. In other words, what goes around ... comes around!