Brunei to expand use of Sharia law

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
I think they should be bolder and go back to the one true legal code: Hammurabi's

Shariah is for the weak and faint of heart

If any one steal cattle or sheep, or an ass, or a pig or a goat, if it belong to a god or to the court, the thief shall pay thirtyfold therefor; if they belonged to a freed man of the king he shall pay tenfold; if the thief has nothing with which to pay he shall be put to death

If any one is committing a robbery and is caught, then he shall be put to death.

If a tavern-keeper (feminine) does not accept corn according to gross weight in payment of drink, but takes money, and the price of the drink is less than that of the corn, she shall be convicted and thrown into the water.

If a son strike his father, his hands shall be hewn off.

If a physician make a large incision with the operating knife, and kill him, or open a tumor with the operating knife, and cut out the eye, his hands shall be cut off.

If a physician make a large incision in the slave of a freed man, and kill him, he shall replace the slave with another slave.

If a builder build a house for some one, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built fall in and kill its owner, then that builder shall be put to death.

etc......

Reactions: macon

crossroadclarence

Ad Honorem
Oct 2007
Borneo~ that big Island in S.E. ASIA
Sorry blokes....I live in Brunei. I am not a Muslim, I have read the entire set of laws in English, and helped lead the US citizens in their meeting at the embassy with the committee that explained the gradual implementation of the laws for Muslim citizens. Sharia law is defined by each Muslim country, not a Sultan. It is very different from culture to culture.

Almost nothing will effect non-Muslims. Oh...let's be logical: if you hold a Muslim down and pour a bottle of booze down his throat, and there are 4 unimpeachable witnesses, you will be in deep doo-doo. Kicked out of the country more than likely.

However almost all Sharia laws have nothing to do with non-Muslims. There has been a bit of toning down Santa Claus decorations, noisy Chinese New Year fireworks displays and such....but...big deal.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I think they should be bolder and go back to the one true legal code: Hammurabi's

Shariah is for the weak and faint of heart

If any one steal cattle or sheep, or an ass, or a pig or a goat, if it belong to a god or to the court, the thief shall pay thirtyfold therefor; if they belonged to a freed man of the king he shall pay tenfold; if the thief has nothing with which to pay he shall be put to death

If any one is committing a robbery and is caught, then he shall be put to death.

If a tavern-keeper (feminine) does not accept corn according to gross weight in payment of drink, but takes money, and the price of the drink is less than that of the corn, she shall be convicted and thrown into the water.

If a son strike his father, his hands shall be hewn off.

If a physician make a large incision with the operating knife, and kill him, or open a tumor with the operating knife, and cut out the eye, his hands shall be cut off.

If a physician make a large incision in the slave of a freed man, and kill him, he shall replace the slave with another slave.

If a builder build a house for some one, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built fall in and kill its owner, then that builder shall be put to death.

etc......

:lol::lol:

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Sorry blokes....I live in Brunei. I am not a Muslim, I have read the entire set of laws in English, and helped lead the US citizens in their meeting at the embassy with the committee that explained the gradual implementation of the laws for Muslim citizens. Sharia law is defined by each Muslim country, not a Sultan. It is very different from culture to culture.

Almost nothing will effect non-Muslims. Oh...let's be logical: if you hold a Muslim down and pour a bottle of booze down his throat, and there are 4 unimpeachable witnesses, you will be in deep doo-doo. Kicked out of the country more than likely.

However almost all Sharia laws have nothing to do with non-Muslims. There has been a bit of toning down Santa Claus decorations, noisy Chinese New Year fireworks displays and such....but...big deal.
So in effect, its legal apartheid....

Its naive to think that it will magically "not affect non muslims"... that's not how it works in other muslim countries

Neither is the attitude "what muslims do to each other is none of our business" very humane..... Especially when one CANNOT decline being a muslim if one's parents are....

Reactions: macon

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Yes, it's a nightmare, you are born into a Muslim family and no possible escape (a) from the faith (social pressure and even the risk of death) and (b) a law-code based on the unalterable prescriptions of an Arab from the 7th Century. The more this happens, the more that the Muslim world will become fossilized; and that affects everyone.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA

Its naive to think that it will magically "not affect non muslims"... that's not how it works in other muslim countries

Neither is the attitude "what muslims do to each other is none of our business" very humane..... Especially when one CANNOT decline being a muslim if one's parents are....
The situation of Brunei is similar to that of Israel..nice people on both sides but a intolerant gov on both sides. For example the government of both Brunei and Israel prevent interfaith marriage.

crossroadclarence

Ad Honorem
Oct 2007

Well...let's look at facts:

1) Have you lived in ANY Muslim country (not as a soldier)? If not, then your theory is at least third hand info or worse.

2) I never said "what muslims do to each other is none of our business"....false construct.

3) The dead wrong assumption that all Muslim countries are alike. are all Catholic countries identical?

4) As a person in a Muslim country, who has read Bruneian Sharia laws lo these almost 4 years, and an auxiliary of the US Embassy here, I take offence at you calling me "naive". Not a good start for you at all.

Now....please explain to me the WHICH Muslim country demands changes within a Christian country to stop internal political and religious affairs. Show me Brunei's interference in Charlottesville, in Peru, in Cuba, or in Ireland.

Last edited:

crossroadclarence

Ad Honorem
Oct 2007
The situation of Brunei is similar to that of Israel..nice people on both sides but a intolerant gov on both sides. For example the government of both Brunei and Israel prevent interfaith marriage.
Disagree....I have lived in Israel and live in Brunei....nothing at all similar.

To suggest expansionist Zionism is the same as a member of the Non-Aligned Nations Community is rather a rash concept. Please name Bruneian attacks on neighboring countries, ethnic groups or military checkpoints looking for "others".

Also....I know several mixed faith married couples.

Last edited:

crossroadclarence

Ad Honorem
Oct 2007
Yes, it's a nightmare, you are born into a Muslim family and no possible escape (a) from the faith (social pressure and even the risk of death) and (b) a law-code based on the unalterable prescriptions of an Arab from the 7th Century. The more this happens, the more that the Muslim world will become fossilized; and that affects everyone.
Please list a Bruneian death (ordered by the state or not)due to their leaving their faith. Just one case would make you believable.

Now....let's consider prominent Catholic nations: How is this applicable in the ancient war in Ireland and N. Ireland? Or Orthodox nations: pretty horrific costs of loss in Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia and in rural Greece...I know persons NOW from all these areas......not a happy situation if you apostatize.

Last edited:

crossroadclarence

Ad Honorem
Oct 2007
All laws are legal in the confines of their own country...Not sure what an illegal law would actually be.

You have an odd idea of what "apartheid is: "The definition of apartheid refers to a political system where people are clearly divided based on race, gender, class or other such factors."

OK....so there would be no non-Muslims in any public service dept, no Chinese in public service and no Christians in civil service in Brunei....

Do you have evidence that this is the case in Brunei?

I have just the opposite evidence; "His Majesty then witnessed the recital of the oath by Conrad Seagroatt as the new non-resident Judicial Commissioner of the Supreme Court for a four-year term. He also serves as one of the Justice of the Court of Appeal." April 14, 2016

Yang Ti-liang President of Court of Appeal of Brunei
(1988–1993)

I could add many more....

Last edited: