Bullsh*t jobs

Jan 2019
USA
His definition of B.S. job..

"There are millions of people—HR consultants, communication coordinators, telemarketing researchers, corporate lawyers—whose jobs are useless, and, tragically, they know it. These people are caught in bullshit jobs."

Good luck running a company without HR. Good luck with public relations without communication coordinators. Good luck structuring and reviewing contracts without corporate lawyers.

I wouldn't read a book from this guy if there were a $100 bill waiting for me on the final page. This is an anti-capitalism book.

Reactions: aggienation

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA

"There are millions of people—HR consultants, communication coordinators, telemarketing researchers, corporate lawyers—whose jobs are useless, and, tragically, they know it. These people are caught in bullshit jobs."

Good luck running a company without HR. Good luck with public relations without communication coordinators. Good luck structuring and reviewing contracts without corporate lawyers.

I wouldn't read a book from this guy if there were a $100 bill waiting for me on the final page. This is an anti-capitalism book.
Yep, anti-capitalistic, just more propaganda to "educate" the masses. "Buy my book and pay me so I can tell you how much capitalism sucks!"

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
It's important for children to learn the difference between real bullshit and things people just call bullshit.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands

Whereas they could have spent their time studying a bullshit subject and write a book about it...

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Whereas they could have spent their time studying a bullshit subject and write a book about it...
The fact is many jobs are being eliminated by automation and artificial intelligence. It's only going to get worse. We need bullshit jobs to maintain the economy. Recognizing that, we need a name that commands more respect. Using google translate, the Latin words for "bull ****" are "bovem de stercore" I would shorten that to "stercore" with the adjective form "stercorial". One no longer has to be ashamed if they have a "**** job" when it becomes "stercorial employment".

Earl_of_Rochester

Ad Honoris
Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
I think he may have a point though, there are jobs that are bs. Cultural diversity officer for $70k etc.

What did people do before HR? The Hanseatic League seems to have operated without it.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
It's important for children to learn the difference between real bullshit and things people just call bullshit.

This is a good example of how far Historum is declining, a whole thread with a digusting title, nothing to do with history, but with a video of a bull defecating.

Last edited:

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011

Well one could make for example the following argument:

we (as a society) make ever more complex tax rules to the point where it is almost impossible to be compliant.... and then we have armies of tax advisors whose work is essentially to make corporations and people pay as little taxes as possible.....

so both those who devise such complex rules and those who help evade them can be said to have BS jobs that really add no value to our society... Perhaps simpler rules eliminating the need for tax advisors would be a better way...

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
This is a good example of how far Historum is declining, a whole thread with a digusting title, nothing to do with history
The title is the title of a book... and it has to do with history since this book (and the essay that preceeded it) generated a viral response....

Whether the author is right or wrong, its a valid topic to look at human activities and understand which of them actually add value and which are questionable. Anyone who has worked in a large corporation (or a governmental structure) has been exposed to useless activities and strange people doing strange things with unclear value