Bullsh*t jobs

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
I don't completely follow. You're saying because some of the functions of a CPA are designed to help people understand complex tax laws, they're B.S.?

I'm not astute on the complexities of tax laws, nor do I really want to be. I understand some taxes are necessity to allow our country to operate to a certain degree. Which is why I would think the example above doesn't constitute a B.S. job.Their job isn't to help people evade tax laws, it's to help people pay their taxes as accurately as possible.

In regards to those who generate the tax laws having B.S. jobs, still not completely there either. Where as I think the US Congress isn't exactly a fine tuned machine, it is a requirement for a functioning government in the US today. As a result, I don't really find that to be a B.S. job either.
No, you've misunderstood my point

Its the combination of "designing complext tax rules " + "jobs aimed at optimizing taxes" that is wrong for society... As others have pointed out, simpler tax rules would mean an easier time for everyone in paying their taxes and eliminate the need for jobs whose only purpose is tax optimization...

Oh, and very few people are interested in "paying their taxes accurately", the overwhelming majority is interested in paying as little as they can...

A long time back in Amsterdam they taxed houses according to their width, the result was this

no one really wants to live in a narrow house..... but to pay less taxes people are ready to do most anything...... If tomorow there is a tax deduction for walking bare assed , you'll see nothing but bare asses in the streets... and there will be tax advisors paid to explain to you how much of your ass you must reveal to maximize your tax deductions

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Useless jobs don't exist. You might not find them valuable, but someone does, because that is why there is a paycheck associated with them.
This would be true if humans and the world at large were all rational... but they are not..... That is evidence for example by the number of stupid laws around....

One good example of useless jobs is those jobs (granted they are very few) where the employee never does anything and does not even show up for years, but still gets paid......

Man Skipped Work For 6 Years And No One Noticed Until He Won An Award | HuffPost

For six years, a building supervisor in Spain quietly collected a $41,500 salary from his local government without showing up for work.

According to deputy mayor Jorge Blas, it wasn’t until Garcia was due to be recognized for his hard work in 2010 that authorities realized his office was sitting vacant.
“I wondered whether he was still working there, had he retired, had he died? But the payroll showed he was still receiving a salary,” Blas told Spanish newspaper El Mundo, according to The Local.

“I called him up and asked him, ‘What did you do yesterday? The month before, the month before that?’ He didn’t know what to say,” Blas said.

Man who skipped work for 24 years is finally fired

AK Verma, an executive engineer at India's Central Public Works Department, last turned up for work in December 1990

Jan 2019
USA
No, you've misunderstood my point

Its the combination of "designing complext tax rules " + "jobs aimed at optimizing taxes" that is wrong for society... As others have pointed out, simpler tax rules would mean an easier time for everyone in paying their taxes and eliminate the need for jobs whose only purpose is tax optimization...

Oh, and very few people are interested in "paying their taxes accurately", the overwhelming majority is interested in paying as little as they can...

A long time back in Amsterdam they taxed houses according to their width, the result was this

no one really wants to live in a narrow house..... but to pay less taxes people are ready to do most anything...... If tomorow there is a tax deduction for walking bare assed , you'll see nothing but bare asses in the streets... and there will be tax advisors paid to explain to you how much of your ass you must reveal to maximize your tax deductions
Perhaps my response was a bit scattered. The job is there to assist people in doing their taxes. There are several different ways to file your taxes in the States without the assistance of anyone. It takes 15-20 minutes. If you're making a considerable amount of money, a person may elect to hire someone to assist them with their taxes. Yes, the idea is to optimize, but there is also an accuracy component to that optimization.

Personally, I want my taxes to be done accurately. I'd rather not get audited. That doesn't mean I don't want them to be optimized though. The two aren't mutually exclusive and it takes the skill of a professional who is versed in tax laws to accomplish that. I don't find that to be useless. I find it to be an elective service. If the tax laws are too complicated, that is an issue for the government. It doesn't negate any profession though.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Sales and marketing are arguably the most important facet of any company. How does capitalism work without competition in the market?

If you're speaking about dishonesty in sales and marketing, there isn't a single profession where they wouldn't be detrimental. However, you can't categorize an entire group of professions because of their potential to do harm.
I was only aiming my comment at those people in sales, marketing, and advertising who make their living selling unnecessary and unwanted products and services. I have no problem with selling people a product or service that actually will make their life better.

Jan 2019
USA
This would be true if humans and the world at large were all rational... but they are not..... That is evidence for example by the number of stupid laws around....

One good example of useless jobs is those jobs (granted they are very few) where the employee never does anything and does not even show up for years, but still gets paid......

Man Skipped Work For 6 Years And No One Noticed Until He Won An Award | HuffPost

For six years, a building supervisor in Spain quietly collected a $41,500 salary from his local government without showing up for work.

According to deputy mayor Jorge Blas, it wasn’t until Garcia was due to be recognized for his hard work in 2010 that authorities realized his office was sitting vacant.
“I wondered whether he was still working there, had he retired, had he died? But the payroll showed he was still receiving a salary,” Blas told Spanish newspaper El Mundo, according to The Local.

“I called him up and asked him, ‘What did you do yesterday? The month before, the month before that?’ He didn’t know what to say,” Blas said.

AK Verma, an executive engineer at India's Central Public Works Department, last turned up for work in December 1990
I don't understand the purpose of the links? It seems like that company was completely incompetent. It's not an issue of profession in that case. It's an issue of organizational stupidity on the company's behalf.

He was an engineer. Are engineers B.S. professions to you?

Jan 2019
USA
Poor utilization of human resource is a company issue, not one based in a particular profession. If Joe in purchasing doesn't have any RFQs or POs to draw, does that mean that job of a purchasing agent is B.S.? Or does it mean that the company isn't utilizing their human resources appropriately?

The book is calling out conventional professions as B.S. because they follow what he perceives to be a conformist mentality. Not because he has any objective evidence that they're actually useless.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
I was only aiming my comment at those people in sales, marketing, and advertising who make their living selling unnecessary and unwanted products and services. I have no problem with selling people a product or service that actually will make their life better.
I'll add that most if not all of marketing/advertising is based on lying to people... watch any add and count the lies.... Its rather ironic that society accepts this -in effect institutionalized- lying. And because for marketeers lying is second nature they normally lie about their lying...

Imagine if adds were truthful

"Our product is inferior to others thus we decided to discount it so you would still buy it"
" our cigarettes kill but we are counting on your addition to buy them never the less"
" we cant prove that our cream reduces wrinkles but we're hoping that by watching a semi naked teenage beauty you'll think it does"
"our car will get you 25 miles per gallon when emptied of everything, downhill and with a strong tail wind"
"our product is more reliable/better than other inferior products - produced by us-"
"prices start as low as X$... but you'll actually pay 2X$ or more"

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
I don't understand the purpose of the links? It seems like that company was completely incompetent. It's not an issue of profession in that case. It's an issue of organizational stupidity on the company's behalf.

He was an engineer. Are engineers B.S. professions to you?
It is when the position is useless... if you hire an engineer to stand around in your house, the job is BS.

Jan 2019
USA
It is when the position is useless... if you hire an engineer to stand around in your house, the job is BS.
Why would someone hire an engineer to stand around in their house? That seems a strange example. Do you get the tone of the book to be centered around companies wasting their money hiring people they don't actually need?

Personally, I think its pretty clear that the person is trying to bash capitalism and conformity. Not shed light on the fact that there are some people working in jobs where they aren't properly utilized.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA

That isn't a useless job. That is crap supervision from management, that should have been caught. Somebody expected that person to work, which is why that position existed and why that individual was paid. The fact that they didn't do their job doesn't mean the job is worthless, it means whatever their tasks were ended up being done by someone else who had to carry the load.

Example: Husband is lazy and doesn't help with the babies, so wife does all the work. Are fathers useless jobs? No. That father is a useless human being.

Reactions: Bobbaloo