Bush his christian retorics 9/11 to invasion Iraq

Status
Closed
Jun 2015
The Netherlands
Im researching on how much christian retorics Bush used in his speeches and in how far this was because of ignorance of the historical and cultural background of Afghanistan and Iraq from 9/11 till the invasion of Iraq in 2003

Jim Casy

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Scotland
I remember him using the 'C' word (Crusade) after 9/11. My head dropped and my toes curled at its use. Thankfully his advisors must have thought the same, as I personally never heard him use it again.

So how much have you managed to research? I'd be interested to read your findings so far.

Last edited:

Lowell2

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
California
I remember him using the 'C' word (Crusade) after 9/11. My head dropped and my toes curled at its use. Thankfully his advisors must have thought the same, as I personally never heard him use it again.

So how much have you managed to research? I'd be interested to read your findings so far.
Crusade is often used as a metaphor for "worthy cause" and not as "bringing Christianity to the nonChristian via force".
Crusades | Christianity :: Crusade as metaphor | Britannica.com
future president of the United States was already using the Crusade metaphor in 1786. Writing to jurist George Wythe, Thomas Jefferson urged, “Preach, my dear Sir, a crusade against ignorance; establish and improve the law for educating the common people.”

Jefferson wasn't suggesting guys on horses with lances and maces.

Dwight Eisenhower called his successful World War II military campaign against Nazism the “Crusade in Europe.”

Nov 2013
Serbia
Crusade is often used as a metaphor for "worthy cause" and not as "bringing Christianity to the nonChristian via force".
Crusades | Christianity :: Crusade as metaphor | Britannica.com
future president of the United States was already using the Crusade metaphor in 1786. Writing to jurist George Wythe, Thomas Jefferson urged, “Preach, my dear Sir, a crusade against ignorance; establish and improve the law for educating the common people.”

Jefferson wasn't suggesting guys on horses with lances and maces.

Dwight Eisenhower called his successful World War II military campaign against Nazism the “Crusade in Europe.”
True, crusade could be used as a metaphor for a "worthy cause" , but that could be percieved in such a manner only in countries with European cultural heritage. I am sure the nations of the Middle East percieve the term "crusade" in a different, more negative conotation since in their collective memory the Crusades were a tragic event and are the epitome of Western imperialism.

Lowell2

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
California
True, crusade could be used as a metaphor for a "worthy cause" , but that could be percieved in such a manner only in countries with European cultural heritage. I am sure the nations of the Middle East percieve the term "crusade" in a different, more negative conotation since in their collective memory the Crusades were a tragic event and are the epitome of Western imperialism.
I agree. I expect that some in other cultures use the term Jihad in other than the purely religious form and that many in the West would find that term to have serious negative connotations.

As for "western imperialism", it wasn't the west that initially invaded Spain, italy and other western countries, nor did the Arabs always own Jerusalem. While the crusades clearly involved people going for their own glory, advancement and for some, hoped for lands and moneys, their initial reason was to take back lands and peoples invaded by those of the Muslim faith.

So the "western imperialism" was originally a response to "islamic imperialism".

None of which has much to do with Bush.

Nov 2013
Serbia
A misunderstanding, sorry. I didn't say the Crusades were a form of Western imperialism, but that the people of the Middle East probably see them that way.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Discussion of non-current post 1990 events is not permitted on Historum, sorry. You're free to carry on any discussion in private.

Thread closed.

Status
Closed