Byzantium and Its Ethnicities

Aug 2019
North
Were there ethnicities in byzantium? I know that many of its emperors were of armenian origin.

Oct 2012
Let´s be honest Ken. You clearly have an agenda here. You think there is something fundamentaly wrong with the current mainstream view of Greek history.
Insted of starting multiple threads, you could write what is wrong with it and why, back it up with sources and we can discuss.
If I have misuderstood your intentions then you have my apologies.

Last edited:

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
The Byzantines considered themselves members of the Roman ethnicity. Other peoples were sometimes called by a general term etnikoi.
ἐθνικοὶ transliteration ethnikoi or etnikoi is also connected with the religion and meant a group, tribe etc who are non-christan, similar to gentiles. Byzantines were Rhomaios meaning Romans / all inhabitants of the empire were Roman citizens since the Edict of Caracalla. The lingva franca of the empire, pardon my latin, was of coarse medieval Greek.

Reactions: Tulius
Aug 2019
North
Let´s be honest Ken. You clearly have an agenda here. You think there is something fundamentaly wrong with the current mainstream view of Greek history.
Insted of starting multiple threads, you could write what is wrong with it and why, back it up with sources and we can discuss.
If I have misuderstood your intentions then you have my apologies.
I'm not here to endulge anybody.
My intentions are looking after the truth, and if that means having to post a thousand threads, then be it.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
The Byzantines considered themselves members of the Roman ethnicity. Other peoples were sometimes called by a general term etnikoi.
Sorry, but no thing as Roman ethnicity existed. There was a Roman nationality, though, and multiple ethnic groups.