Byzantium and Its Ethnicities

Aug 2019
North
You are right, I use "nationality" as the identity related to the state, to citizenship, while "ethnicity" is the identity related to ancestry, in my view.

For example, there is a British nationality and a British nation, but not a British ethnic group. Similarly, there was a Roman nationality and nation (the Byzantines were Roman nationals), but not a Roman ethnic group (in Byzantine times).

"Ethnikoi" (modern Greek: Εθνικοί), is simply the plural of ethnikos, meaning "ethnic" as the Greek word translates in English. Hellene is the term Greeks used and use to call themselves (to be accurate, "Εllinas", Greek spelling "'Ελληνας"), so "Ethnic Hellene" is something of a redundancy. Indeed there are some followers of the Dodekatheon that call themselves like that. We call the Greek national team "Ethniki Ellados". :)

During early Christian times, "Ethnikoi" was a term used to describe the pagans of the old religions, similar to "gentiles".
How can samuel of macedonia be by some considered bulgarian by birth then?

Aug 2019
North
How many emperors of medieval greek ancestry were there in byzantium? I suppose many, given the medieval greek majority there..

Last edited:
Aug 2019
North
How many medieval greeks accepted ottoman islam and became staunch rivals of byzantium?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
If this thread is an attempt to push Macedonian nationalism in disguise, it will be shut, and suspensions will follow.

I hope that is clear to everyone. We will NOT allow nationalist conflicts about ethnicity on this forum. You want to do that, go somewhere else.

Aug 2019
North
If this thread is an attempt to push Macedonian nationalism in disguise, it will be shut, and suspensions will follow.

I hope that is clear to everyone. We will NOT allow nationalist conflicts about ethnicity on this forum. You want to do that, go somewhere else.
Where do you see "macedonian nationalism in disguise"?

Last edited: