Ca. 1910 Chinese craftsman working in the street with a young crowd of spectators: what could he be doing?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I don’t know the answer to your question, but I am posting here to congratulate you, I have been seeing some of your posts, and it seems that you have a magnificent collection of photos, which you are trying to identify.

After that work of identification, I would like to suggest you to put them in a sole thread. It would be quite interesting.

Jan 2019
The Netherlands
Thank you Tulius, for your congratulations. Indeed, doing research for my non-fiction history book "Charles in Shanghai", I was offered many wonderful photos by people I interviewed, often relatives of people who were Charles' friends or colleagues.
There is a simple way to keep track of the complete set of photos, which is still expanding. You can find it at Charles in Shanghai

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Thank you Tulius, for your congratulations. Indeed, doing research for my non-fiction history book "Charles in Shanghai", I was offered many wonderful photos by people I interviewed, often relatives of people who were Charles' friends or colleagues.
There is a simple way to keep track of the complete set of photos, which is still expanding. You can find it at Charles in Shanghai
Thank you for the link and good luck!

Aug 2018
Canada

"A man working as a combination letter-writer and fortune-teller and a man working as a barber in the same street, Shanghai, Shanghai Shi, China, ca.1900-1919"Shanghai, but a common sight in China: a combination letter-writer and fortune-teller. Note the long gown and long sleeves, denoting a man who earned his living by literary, not manual, labor. Note the barber down the street who has just given a customer a very clean shave!"

peace

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Dear reader,

Suggestions welcome on what the craftsman is doing.
Does the dressing give away anything about the region this photo was taken? Hong Kong? Shanghai? Macau? Yantai/Chefoo? Guangzhou/Canton?

Kind regards,
Pieter

https://flic.kr/p/2dptyCN
Perhaps a money lender ? That could be a coat on the table used as collateral, and he is reading a list of who owes him what?

Just a guess

Similar History Discussions