Can a case be made that Hitler was a German?

Jun 2019
UK
It's well known that Hitler was born in Austria. However, most Austrians are ethnic Germans and certainly considered themselves to be Germans during the late 19th century and early 20th century - it is only after the end of WW2 that an Austrian identity fully emerged.

His birthplace Braunau am Inn was under Bavarian rule until 1816. After the Anschluss in 1938, Hitler said, "I, myself, as Führer and Chancellor, will be happy to walk on the soil of the country that is my home as a free German citizen."

Is it really that wrong to call Hitler a German? I don't think so. What do you think?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Now, having myself German Celtic roots [from Baden], I tend to think that Hitler was German, but not Germanic. The Austrian region where he was born is historically more Celtic than Germanic.

Reactions: Futurist
Jun 2019
UK
Now, having myself German Celtic roots [from Baden], I tend to think that Hitler was German, but not Germanic. The Austrian region where he was born is historically more Celtic than Germanic.
Ethnic Germans are Germanic. Yes, parts of Austria and Germany had Celts settle in areas years ago, but Hitler's family were all of Germanic descent - the surnames on both sides of his family are Germanic.

Mar 2019
Kansas
It's well known that Hitler was born in Austria. However, most Austrians are ethnic Germans and certainly considered themselves to be Germans during the late 19th century and early 20th century - it is only after the end of WW2 that an Austrian identity fully emerged.

His birthplace Braunau am Inn was under Bavarian rule until 1816. After the Anschluss in 1938, Hitler said, "I, myself, as Führer and Chancellor, will be happy to walk on the soil of the country that is my home as a free German citizen."

Is it really that wrong to call Hitler a German? I don't think so. What do you think?
He was an Austrian citizen. He did not become a German citizen until 1932

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire

Welcome to Historum.

Hitler's ethnicity
Was Adolf Hitler German?
Is it wrong to call Hitler a German?
Did the Germans care that Hitler was Austrian?

Goodbye from Historum.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
So strange. What would get into somebody's head to feel the need to spend years haunting a website and posting the same question over and over with different usernames. Human beings are just so damn weird sometimes...
His first incarnation was an outright neo-Nazi. He probably wants to get his message out.