Can anyone tell me in detail about battle ships of Ming and Japan?

Feb 2015
hk
I have found one interesting picture (see below) and kindly asking for some assistance.
Could somebody please help me with translation of highlighted words?
Thank you!:)
View attachment 15062
免朝牌 >> it is a sign board with totem or auspicious words for praying of a good weather
一條龍 >> a long loong (dragon),
神旗 >> flag of god, may be it is a commander's flag
神燈 >> lamp of god, may be it is a ship taillight

Taiwan scholar Mr. 陳政宏 did a research about Ming war junk.

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 2018
Singapore
免朝牌 >> it is a sign board with totem or auspicious words for praying of a good weather
一條龍 >> a long loong (dragon),
神旗 >> flag of god, may be it is a commander's flag
神燈 >> lamp of god, may be it is a ship taillight

Taiwan scholar Mr. 陳政宏 did a research about Ming war junk.
My apologies for late response- was traveled and busy.

Thank you very much for your help with translation. Any chances that you can find images of similar flags from Chinese sources? This will be the very helpful...

Article you have provided looks interesting for me. Unfortunately I can not read it - do you know if it was translated to English?

From illustrations I can assume that author also believe that flat bottom junks could be actually serve as war junk, is not it?

Feb 2015
hk
Ar
My apologies for late response- was traveled and busy.

Thank you very much for your help with translation. Any chances that you can find images of similar flags from Chinese sources? This will be the very helpful...

Article you have provided looks interesting for me. Unfortunately I can not read it - do you know if it was translated to English?

From illustrations I can assume that author also believe that flat bottom junks could be actually serve as war junk, is not it?

I don't think the article has an English version. :rolleyes:

However, Your pic is Fungchou (封舟), i don't think warjunk has same flags/outfit.

According to the Mr. Chen's article, warjunk has no 免朝牌 on ship bow and it is replaced by 伏獅, it is a board with a lion/beast totem for suppressing sea monster. The hull type of Ming warjunk is between FuChuen福船 & ShaChuen沙船 similar to NiaoChuen鳥船. 400Liao warjunk is around 260 tonnage.

Sorry my English isn't good enough

Dec 2018
Singapore
I don't think the article has an English version. :rolleyes:

However, Your pic is Fungchou (封舟), i don't think warjunk has same flags/outfit.

According to the Mr. Chen's article, warjunk has no 免朝牌 on ship bow and it is replaced by 伏獅, it is a board with a lion/beast totem for suppressing sea monster. The hull type of Ming warjunk is between FuChuen福船 & ShaChuen沙船 similar to NiaoChuen鳥船. 400Liao warjunk is around 260 tonnage.

Sorry my English isn't good enough
Thank you for your reply. Your English is good- much better than my Mandarin.:)
By chances, do you have a picture of 伏獅 ? How this was used on ship?

Dec 2018
Singapore
Nice model. But I think 伏獅 should be moved to the upper part of ship bow (above the water line)
Thank you!
But i believe that it is already above waterline - please see the pictures below!
Dschunke Hangchou2.png 34.jpg
Ah, I can see now where the confusion started!:)
IMG_4977.JPG
My ship is much smaller than shown on above printing, so the small platform on bow for anchor operations is installed at bow bulwark level. There is not enough place for 伏獅.

What do you think about traditions of images of 伏獅 for different provinces?

May 2017
Hong Kong
I think the rectangular long tall sails are mainly used by boats navigate in inland waterways /rivers and near coast waters not typical sails used in open deep seas.

Dec 2018
Singapore
I think the rectangular long tall sails are mainly used by boats navigate in inland waterways /rivers and near coast waters not typical sails used in open deep seas.
As per my understanding, rectangular long sails are oldest and most archaic sails ( see for example: HG Hasler, JK McLeod, PRACTICAL JUNK RIG). In modern days (when we start to have more or less accurate records- say from 18 CE) those type of sails was indeed used only in inland waterways /rivers in some rural areas. Fanned sails are definitely more advanced, and was used widely, especially for open deep sea.
But on the old pictures all ships are shown with long rectangular sails- so I believe that my choice of sails could be reasonable.
Japanese envoy ship to Tang China, Korokan museum, Fukuoka Kentoshi.jpg China Song Dynasty Junk 13CE.jpg Tiangong_Kaiwu_Ship.jpg SakokuJunk1650.jpg Piracy_of_the_South_China_Sea.JPG mazu sea goddess2.jpg

On the other hands, this ship is designed as coast guard/inland waterway warship - not ocean-going battleship. if you interesting more about this project, please have a look here.

However, if you know this better, i will appreciate the link/copy/reference to source for me to read.