Can anyone tell me in detail about battle ships of Ming and Japan?

Feb 2015
hk
I have found one interesting picture (see below) and kindly asking for some assistance.
Could somebody please help me with translation of highlighted words?
Thank you!:)
View attachment 15062
免朝牌 >> it is a sign board with totem or auspicious words for praying of a good weather
一條龍 >> a long loong (dragon),
神旗 >> flag of god, may be it is a commander's flag
神燈 >> lamp of god, may be it is a ship taillight

Taiwan scholar Mr. 陳政宏 did a research about Ming war junk.

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 2018
Singapore
免朝牌 >> it is a sign board with totem or auspicious words for praying of a good weather
一條龍 >> a long loong (dragon),
神旗 >> flag of god, may be it is a commander's flag
神燈 >> lamp of god, may be it is a ship taillight

Taiwan scholar Mr. 陳政宏 did a research about Ming war junk.
My apologies for late response- was traveled and busy.

Thank you very much for your help with translation. Any chances that you can find images of similar flags from Chinese sources? This will be the very helpful...

Article you have provided looks interesting for me. Unfortunately I can not read it - do you know if it was translated to English?

From illustrations I can assume that author also believe that flat bottom junks could be actually serve as war junk, is not it?

Ar
My apologies for late response- was traveled and busy.

Thank you very much for your help with translation. Any chances that you can find images of similar flags from Chinese sources? This will be the very helpful...

Article you have provided looks interesting for me. Unfortunately I can not read it - do you know if it was translated to English?

From illustrations I can assume that author also believe that flat bottom junks could be actually serve as war junk, is not it?

I don't think the article has an English version. :rolleyes:

However, Your pic is Fungchou (封舟), i don't think warjunk has same flags/outfit.

According to the Mr. Chen's article, warjunk has no 免朝牌 on ship bow and it is replaced by 伏獅, it is a board with a lion/beast totem for suppressing sea monster. The hull type of Ming warjunk is between FuChuen福船 & ShaChuen沙船 similar to NiaoChuen鳥船. 400Liao warjunk is around 260 tonnage.

Sorry my English isn't good enough

Dec 2018
Singapore
I don't think the article has an English version. :rolleyes:

However, Your pic is Fungchou (封舟), i don't think warjunk has same flags/outfit.

According to the Mr. Chen's article, warjunk has no 免朝牌 on ship bow and it is replaced by 伏獅, it is a board with a lion/beast totem for suppressing sea monster. The hull type of Ming warjunk is between FuChuen福船 & ShaChuen沙船 similar to NiaoChuen鳥船. 400Liao warjunk is around 260 tonnage.

Sorry my English isn't good enough
Thank you for your reply. Your English is good- much better than my Mandarin.:)
By chances, do you have a picture of 伏獅 ? How this was used on ship?