Can anyone tell me in detail about battle ships of Ming and Japan?

Dec 2018
Singapore
Supposedly the more recent "Pechili trader" style of ship was a direct descendant of Ming (and possibly earlier) seagoing junks. A very old style of ship that only faded away recently (early 20th century I believe)
By the chance, do you have any information about banners, pendants, flag used on ships of Ming dynasty?
Appreciate some pictures/ links if any
Thanks

These Qing dynasty ships show heavy use of long flowing banners. I'm not sure if this was the situation with earlier ships or what they represented. I know in many cases banners were used as weather vanes to show the direction of the wind. Military ships would've also flown the banners of their units. Some flags were also for good luck and to ward off dangers at sea.

270.jpg

267.jpg

266.jpg

265.jpg

271.jpg

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
The gun appear to be anti-personnel and not designed to sink ship.

The mine was used against ships on rivers, and seems to be unreliable. Before the development of percussion caps, felisbly detonating mines was an issue.

Dec 2018
Singapore
These Qing dynasty ships show heavy use of long flowing banners. I'm not sure if this was the situation with earlier ships or what they represented. I know in many cases banners were used as weather vanes to show the direction of the wind. Military ships would've also flown the banners of their units. Some flags were also for good luck and to ward off dangers at sea.
Yes, you are right/ I have noticed that.
My problem - I would like to find what is on all those flags and banners!:rolleyes::)

Sometimes there was nothing on the flags (only the colors were significant), other times there might be a symbol of authority like a dragon or a tiger, or maybe an image of a deity if it was a religious flag. One common type of flag was a fish-shaped flag with long flowing streamers on the tail. You see this on tops of the masts of many old Chinese ships. If there was writing on the flag it was usually a military flag. Maybe a flag with the name of the ruling dynasty on it, or a company flag with the name/number of the unit or the surname of the commander.

Dec 2018
Singapore
Sometimes there was nothing on the flags (only the colors were significant), other times there might be a symbol of authority like a dragon or a tiger, or maybe an image of a deity if it was a religious flag. One common type of flag was a fish-shaped flag with long flowing streamers on the tail. You see this on tops of the masts of many old Chinese ships. If there was writing on the flag it was usually a military flag. Maybe a flag with the name of the ruling dynasty on it, or a company flag with the name/number of the unit or the surname of the commander.
Thank you.
How about banners, shown on attached ? Are those acceptable for some kind of small war junk / ship of low-rang (local) authority?
Any specific way or place each one must be located?
Any comment will be highly appreciated.

Attachments

I'm not sure if there were any rules regarding the placement of certain banners. Maybe someone else here knows more about it. Pictures of ships show flags and banners hung in all sorts of ways. Here are some images of Ming warships flying what I assume are battle flags.

f_9275288_1.jpg

This one is Ming or Qing dynasty. You can see the flags hanging horizontally from spears tied to the masts. This seemed to be a very common way of presenting flags on ships. Those were probably the same flags they'd carry into combat. You also usually see flags at the top of masts and around the stern of the ship on the poop deck. The crow's nest is interesting because you usually didn't see them on Chinese ships. This could be a western influence.

Chinese_war_junk_from_Zheng_Ruozeng's_Chouhai_tubian_(1562).jpg

Dec 2018
Singapore
Interesting, thank you. But the flag with number of “tail” ( or strips?) means a sign of rank or position, as far as I can find for now. The more tails- the higher the rank- something like that
52C8BAF0-6147-41E0-9EA9-A656EE07C653.gif
But what shall be written on the flag itself? There’s something written on flags on your picture.

Last edited: