Can anyone tell me in detail about battle ships of Ming and Japan?

I saw one English description that just identified them as "colors and signal flags." The character shen (申 ) in the flags on the right is sometimes associated with customs laws, so those could be the customs flags. A lot of it might have to do with the maritime regulations of the Qing. They were more elaborate than earlier dynasties.

Dec 2018
Singapore
I saw one English description that just identified them as "colors and signal flags." The character shen (申 ) in the flags on the right is sometimes associated with customs laws, so those could be the customs flags. A lot of it might have to do with the maritime regulations of the Qing. They were more elaborate than earlier dynasties.
Thank you for your reply! What do you think - are those characters inscriptions on the flags, or rather just description of what kind of flags they are?

忠 = Loyalty

明 = Ming (bright, or the dynasty)
Can you please add something about this picture?

Dec 2018
Singapore
Yeah they're just labels explaining what everything is. Those characters wouldn't be written on the flags.
I'm not sure what further explanation you are expecting. It's just one word on a flag.
Thank you both for reply!
But I can see a some controversy in it. May I ask you again: are those characters words inscribed on flags, or those are description of the flags on the drawing? What does it means?

Unfortunately I am not able to read Chinese characters - so have to rely on somebody's help!

Dec 2018
Singapore
Oh, well the words I translated are from the words on the flags.
I can see some misunderstanding- probably I was not clear enough.
My current question is relates to another picture where I need your help - please see below:
I have found one interesting picture (see below) and kindly asking for some assistance.
Could somebody please help me with translation of highlighted words?
Thank you!:)
View attachment 15062

Here's that English description I mentioned.

ship.jpg

This pic is dated from the Qing era but Fuzhou ships like this one became the dominant type of Chinese seagoing ship starting around the late Sung era, at least according to Gang Deng, author of the book this comes from.

Last edited: