Can anyone tell where exactly this picture is from?

Apr 2018
India
I just stumbled upon this picture while doing some reading on the holocaust. I am no stranger to disturbing images, especially of World War 2. But this one gave me the creeps. Can anyone tell exactly where this one is from and when this was shot?

My bet on this is that this is a typical handiwork of Einsatzgruppen. The presence of clothes rules out concentration camps. This most probably is also not from Babi Yar. There also people were paraded naked before shot and sardinepacked. Also I am not sure of the reason but the woman looks quite East European to me (just gut feeling).

Holocaust Children.jpg

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Image quality is consistent with 1930 to 1940's pocket cameras but none of the bodies show obvious gunshot wounds and bleeding. The child in the lower left corner seems to show caved in eyes, that suggest they have been dead for a while before they were put into the grave.
Its a mass grave obviously but it might well be starvation or typhus victims from the work camps or ghettoes, they do have an eastern european look to the clothes but if you take the holocaust and the holodomor theres a lot of mass graves in ukraine.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Image quality is consistent with 1930 to 1940's pocket cameras but none of the bodies show obvious gunshot wounds and bleeding. The child in the lower left corner seems to show caved in eyes, that suggest they have been dead for a while before they were put into the grave.
Its a mass grave obviously but it might well be starvation or typhus victims from the work camps or ghettoes, they do have an eastern european look to the clothes but if you take the holocaust and the holodomor theres a lot of mass graves in ukraine.
Starvation is a bit unlikely, don't You think?

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Theres no obvious bloating of the bodies but the bodies are old enough that the childs eyes have either been scavenged by wildlife or have decomposed.

The Nazies were efficient when it came to body disposal in mass graves, either soviet anti-tank ditches were used or pits were dug by jewish prisoners , once a layer of victims had been shot they were covered by quick lime and a second layer executed on top. It was a practiced system. Once a pit was full it was covered in soil and they moved on to a new site or a new pit.

Sometimes a pit would be left open overnight but generally speaking it was done in short order and sealed, they wouldnt leave a mass grave open because of the risk of infection, possible survivors escaping and witnesses. Not long enough for a body to be exposed for days. You can read reports from Jewish prisoners responsible for cleaning up the mass graves where they can see the ground heaving over the bodies which tended to freak the beejeezus out of the prisoners who thought it was people who had been buried alive digging their way out of the pit, in actuality it was corpse gasses bloating the bodies and causing the earth above to move.

On the other hand ghettoes were packed out by prisoners with not enough food and not enough facilities for cleaning and sewerage. Typhus epidemics were common, Warsaw and others were well known for internees being short of food and starving to death, enough that carts used to go round each day picking up bodies. Those bodies have to go somewhere.

Secondly the baby in the center is intact, mass shooting was usually done with service rifles or pistol caliber weapons, 9mm parabellum or captured 7.62mm soviet would have shattered the skull, 7.92x57 rifle rounds would have destroyed it.

Gassing is a possibilty, theres no obvious fatal wounds, obviously if they were in an Aktion Rheinhardt camp they would be naked before the execution so gas vans are a possibility.

Hasnt this been a fun conversation?

Apr 2018
India
It appears you are partially right and I was totally wrong.

The Mazal Library

The absence of gunshot wounds remains a mystery though as Arrow Cross generally shot their victims. One explanation may be that these people, at least the elderly woman was shot in the back at a not too close range. The children were probably........uh hum.........buried alive.

How else does one save bullets when even in a city besieged by the Red Army it is too hard to keep pathological genocide fetish under control?

Murdered on the Verge of Survival: Massacres in the Last Days of the Siege of Budapest, 1945 – EHRI Document Blog

In this page there is an interactive map of Arrow Cross activities on the last days of the battle. There's an official account of exhumation of these graves right after liberation. The picture was probably taken then. Explains the partially decomposed condition.

Yeah............some fun indeed.