Can somebody please explain me these 7 concepts of Mitteleuropa

Feb 2014
Asia
Seven concepts of Mitteleuropa given by Bischof et al. (2000) are as below:

1. Mitteleuropa in the German imperial sense.
2. German-Jewish Central Europe.
3. the Central Europe of small (non-Germanic) nations (the Palacky-Masaryk tradition).
4. the nostalgic, k.u.k. or Austro-Hungarian version of Mitteleuropa (without imperial Germans) which is related to the Austro-Hungarian version of Mitteleuropa in the 1970s and 1980s (Kreisky-Kadar-Busek).
5. the Mitteleuropa of the West German left and peace movement in the 1980s.
6. the "Central Europe" of Eastern European dissidents and intellectuals (for example, Milosz, Kundera, Konrad).
7. the "Central and Eastern Europe" of the European Union.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Actually, the definitions explain themselves, I think you could modify the orientation of the thread starting a discussion about how much those definitions are accurate and if they can be applied for real or not to a geographical area.

For example

“2. German-Jewish Central Europe.”

This conceptualization is a bit odd and difficult to apply. Substantially we should look for a kind of dominating culture [I would say the Jewish Yiddish culture] which gave a certain identity to such a wide area.

The Jewish Yiddish culture has been very rich and important in that part of Europe, but I wouldn’t identify Central Europe with it, it was the other way round: the Jewish Yiddish culture was part of the Central European region.

Feb 2014
Asia
Thanks for replying. :)

Yes, we can discuss these points, but I seriously need help in understanding them first. I can say that I can understand first three points but the last four points are still out of my head.

1. First point as per my understanding is related to Großdeutsche Lösung

2. This is the concept of Yiddish world.

3. This is
Austroslavism, I am sure ?

4. ??What does this pre-WWI Austro-Hungarian phrase 'kaiserlich und königlich' has to do with these Leftist leaders (Kreisky, Kadar and Busek) from 70s and 80s ??
o_O

5. ???? What is this ????
:|

6. ?? Again, I have no idea as what concept do these intellectuals (Milosz, Kundera and Konrad) have for Central Europe.
?? :(

7. Does this point means Visegrad_Group ?

Last edited:
Feb 2014
Asia
I suggest you to read this work by Taku Shinohara. At page 31 there is a wide explanation of the conception you're looking for.

[http://src-h.slav.hokudai.ac.jp/sympo/96summer/taku.pdf]

Quoting it, I can summarize
Thanks for the link.

Yes, the third point is well explained on page 31.

I think this sentence from page 31 can explain the concept of Nová Evropa very well - the political role of the Habsburg monarchy as a bastion which should protect the existence of small nations against the Russian universal monarchy.
I think the proposal of United States of Greater Austria, was very much based on this idea.

And sixth point is also quite well explained on page 37-38. The idea of Central Europe as Kulturnation.

Regarding the fifth point, the Peace Movements in Central Europe. I think these were restricted to only non-communist states like West Germany and Austria.

• ?? And point still out of my head is as what was the Austro-Hungarian version of these Leftist leaders (Kreisky-Kadar-Busek) from Austria and Hungary.