Can somebody please help me identify this man

Nov 2019
texas
Hello everybody...
I'm hoping someone can help me identify the gentleman in this photograph.
I purchased it at an estate sale in San Antonio Texas. Nobody was able to give me any information on the photo.
At my best guess I believe the photo to be from the mid-1800s.
By the size of the photo I believe this is a man of stature or wealth.
It measures 20" x 14"
There are no markings or writing on the photo neither front or back.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Jun 2017
maine
Identifying old photographs is challenging--but absolutely not impossible. Google <identifying photographs> and you'll get many "hits" (mostly genealogical) on how to go about this. There are websites such as "Dead Fred" (www.deadfred.com) that have galleries of unidentified photos and lots of advice on how to go about identification. Consultants like Maureen Taylor specialize in this; she has a web site at www.maureentaylor.com where she has posted lots of helpful information, If you guess that the photograph might come from the San Antonio area, try contacting the San Antonio Genealogical & Historical Society; if it can't help you, it may be able to point you in a good direction.

Jun 2017
maine
I had another thought. The person whose estate was being sold off may have had some relationship to the subject of the photograph. Take that name and trace him back two or three generations (if you cannot do this yourself, throw yourself on the mercy of the San Antonio G & H Society--or anyone who can do this). Then take those earlier names to the genealogy web sites (Ancestory, MyHeritage, etc.), onto their "public trees". If the estate family is there, check the pictures and documents that may have been put up--you just may find a match.

Based on that slicked back hairstyle, the picture may be from after the Civil War: 1865-1880

Last edited:
Reactions: Annajacobs71
Nov 2019
texas
I had another thought. The person whose estate was being sold off may have had some relationship to the subject of the photograph. Take that name and trace him back two or three generations (if you cannot do this yourself, throw yourself on the mercy of the San Antonio G & H Society--or anyone who can do this). Then take those earlier names to the genealogy web sites (Ancestory, MyHeritage, etc.), onto their "public trees". If the estate family is there, check the pictures and documents that may have been put up--you just may find a match.

Based on that slicked back hairstyle, the picture may be from after the Civil War: 1865-1880
Thank you