Can the Commonwealth become a trading bloc after Brexit?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Potentially, but a Commonwealth trading bloc would be dominated by Britain (and maybe India). I'm not sure how Commonwealth countries would feel about being subordinated to their former colonial master.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Potentially, but a Commonwealth trading bloc would be dominated by Britain (and maybe India). I'm not sure how Commonwealth countries would feel about being subordinated to their former colonial master.
India is eventually going to dominate this bloc due to its sheer population. Its total economic potential is much more than that of Britain.

Is Indian domination going to be easier for the other ex-British colonies to swallow than British domination would be?

Mar 2019
Kansas
After Britain entered the EU, most of the Commonwealth nations had to go find other markets. Example what does Britain bring to the table that would encourage Australia to move away from its South East Asian markets

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
After Britain entered the EU, most of the Commonwealth nations had to go find other markets. Example what does Britain bring to the table that would encourage Australia to move away from its South East Asian markets
This is why I reckon it would be better for Britain to join the TPP.

But in answer to your question, we'll buy your Vegemite if you buy our Marmite.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Does it matter? Small states can and do prosper in the EU such as Luxembourg and Estonia.

Similar History Discussions