Can we have an American cultural music thread?

Jun 2019
America
I want music that was either invented in America, like Sacred Harp Singing, songs that were carried over by settlers, like Appalachian folk singing, African American music from Harlem, ect. If it was made in America, or we made it our own "as we tend to do" I want to hear it. I already have a small collection of folk songs ranging from the civil war to Appalachia, So I'll get the thread started

Returning Sweetheart - Sharp 98 - A Pretty Fair Maid Down in the Garden - The Broken Token
Warfare is A-Raging - Sharp 113
Almeda Riddle - Go Tell Aunt Nancy
American Civil War Song: When Johnny Comes Marching Home

Reactions: Mando

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I miss this guy:

Coudn't go to his last concert in Portugal.

Excellent poet!

EDIT: Sorry, noted that you wanted folk songs, but I was hearing Leonard Cohen when I saw the thread.

Apr 2019
U.S.A.
The banjo was originally brought to north america by african slaves as a banjar. It was a hollowed gourd with a hide over it and neck attached. It was once America’s number one musical instrument. Below is one of my favorite banjo players, Earl Scruggs, he and Ralph Stanley of the stanley bros previously mentioned
This is “foggy mountain breakdown” performed by Flat & Scruggs

Reactions: bedb
Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
There are so many good ones, but one that I love is "Sea Lion Woman" simply because of the range of homonyms / variants in words... and how it merged ideas and changed over time. The spelling (and meaning) varies between "Sea Lion", "C-Line", "Sea Line", "See Lying", "See the Lying", etc. It was first recorded in the 1930's by folklore researcher Hubert Halpert, as an African American children's song ... it is likely that it was originally a song about sailors coming into a port to solicit prostitutes (Sea Line Woman), with a range of dress colors in the lyrics designating different attributes to the women wearing them. Later the lyrics shifted to being about a single woman - a femme fatale ruining men (See Lyin' Woman)... and then there is a children's version that seems to carry none of the original meanings, except for the rhythm and central lyrical scheme of "Sea Lion Woman, she drink coffee, she drink tea..."

Here's the original recording (it starts at 00:40 on the track, after the first song) from the Library of Congress: Sea Lion Woman

The children's song lyrics

Sea lion woman (sea-la)
She drinks coffee (sea-la)
She drink tea (sea-la)
In the candle light (sea-la)
Way down yonder (sea-la)
'Hind a log (sea-la)
And the rooster crowed (sea-la)
And the gander lied (sea-la)

Here's a really nice rerecording by the band Feist:

Apr 2019
U.S.A.
Pretty polly is an old old song done a decade or two back by Ralph Stanley and Patty Loveless
This is my favorites of this song

Civil War era . . . Lorena

Last edited:

David Vagamundo

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Good thread,, but African-American music came from the south: Mississippi Delta in the case of the Blues and New Orleans via Chicago in the case of “Dixiieland”>. Harlem became involved when southern Blacks moved there and clubs playing the music opened. Louis Armstrong, a native of New Orleans, and Fletcher Henderson, a Georgia native, among others. Duke Ellington was originally from DC.