Can we have an American cultural music thread?

Jan 2018
Sturgeon Lake Mn.
I was listening to Big Brother yesterday, that was a pretty good band. Too bad they never found a singer to replace the one who quit.

Jan 2018
Sturgeon Lake Mn.
As in, Big Brother and the Holding Company?
Yes.

As a live act I think the best of the San Francisco hippie bands were Moby Grape and Blue Cheer. Moby Grape had roots in Pacific Northwest "Louie Louie" rock and Surf music and they rocked harder than other hippie bands. Blue Cheer was arguably the first Metal band. I saw them open for the Jefferson Airplane and they smoked them. But everytime I saw Airplane they were lousy. Good recording band but a poor live act.

Last edited:
Yes.

As a live act I think the best of the San Francisco hippie bands were Moby Grape and Blue Cheer. Moby Grape had roots in Pacific Northwest "Louie Louie" rock and Surf music and they rocked harder than other hippie bands. Blue Cheer was arguably the first Metal band. I saw them open for the Jefferson Airplane and they smoked them. But everytime I saw Airplane they were lousy. Good recording band but a poor live act.
Did you ever see Big Brother live?

Apr 2019
U.S.A.
Sorry Im going nuts on this thread, I love most types and genres of music. This one was a major hit and was the frist song I learned on the guitar, the Carter Family “wildwood flower.
And the second on I learned, Kansas “dust in the wind”

Similar History Discussions