Can you really appoint the bad guy in world war I?

Can we blame one country for starting world war one?

• Yes: The German Empire

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Yes: The United Kingdom

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Yes: France

• Yes: Austria-Hungary

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Yes: Russia

• Yes: The Ottoman Empire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes: The balkan states

• Yes: Bulgaria

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • No we can't everyone is guilty

Votes: 37 49.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 2010
Somewhere in the former First French Empire
I was wondering can we really appoint the bad guy in World War I? Could we say it was Germanies fault for backing Austrians policies? Or can we blame Russia for protecting the slavic people in the balkans? Or perhaps France and Britain with their Imperialistic policies? Is world war one the fault of one country or from us all?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKofBhr9oFM]‪German Imperial Army WWI footages‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

clement

Ad Honorem
Jun 2011
California, USA
Everyone is guilty. The murder of a prince should never have caused such a war. It only caused because every country had tried to be part of an alliance. Or if you really want a culprit, maybe Germany because it seized alsace and lorraine. But had Germany not do that, there will still have been a war though France and GB may not have participated (though this isn't even sure). In the Europe created in 1815 it was very difficult to make a move without upsetting someone. In fact, this was the case even before the French revolution but back then, wars were considerably less bloody.

clement

Ad Honorem
Jun 2011
California, USA
Austria first declared war to Serbia (so they unleashed what was to become WW I). And Russia chose to defend Serbia, something which led the war to become european. So their responsibility is quite big too. Had Austria not declared war upon Serbia, or had Russia chose to settle this issue differently (or not to defend Serbia), the war would never have become a world war. On the other hand, Germany chose to side with Austria and asked France not to intervene (and they also asked the French to give them two fortresses as a token of neutrality. Of course, this was unacceptable for the French who had an alliance with the Russians). The French mobilized their army so Germany declared war upon them. And when the German army attacked Belgium, the British came into the was as they had signed a treaty with Belgium.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
I would say Germany and specifically the Kaiser and 'the Generals' with a strong militaristic culture.

However violent nationalism , the glorification of war, 'national struggle' and superority and even 'blood sacrifice' etc was endemic throughout the world so its difficult for any country to claim the 'moral high ground'.

Nov 2010
Border of GA and AL
They are all to blame albeit some more than others. War crimes weren't as great during the First World War as the second one. Not that that has anything to do with what we're discussing.

Jul 2011
Houston, TX
Gavril Princip was a terrorist not a government official, the Austria-Hungarian attacks on Serbia were unprovoked by the Serbian government in this matter.