Canada in WW1

Jan 2017
Durham
It's widely believed in Britain that the people of the overseas British Empire rushed to the aid of Britain during WW1.

Yet, I think I'm correct in saying that the vast majority of the Canadian Army were British immigrants, and the enlistment rates for both English and French speaking Canadians who had lived in Canada for more than a generation were actually low.

Can anyone comment on the reason for this? I had always assumed that English speaking Canadians considered themselves to be British first and Canadian second prior to WW1.

And, to add, I'm not sure on the demographics of Canada and the United States, so would it be fair to say that British immigrants excepted, the people of the United States volunteered in greater numbers than the people of Canada (relatively speaking, per head)?

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
It's widely believed in Britain that the people of the overseas British Empire rushed to the aid of Britain during WW1.

Yet, I think I'm correct in saying that the vast majority of the Canadian Army were British immigrants, and the enlistment rates for both English and French speaking Canadians who had lived in Canada for more than a generation were actually low.

Can anyone comment on the reason for this? I had always assumed that English speaking Canadians considered themselves to be British first and Canadian second prior to WW1.

And, to add, I'm not sure on the demographics of Canada and the United States, so would it be fair to say that British immigrants excepted, the people of the United States volunteered in greater numbers than the people of Canada (relatively speaking, per head)?
Rough look at teh figures says it is noit so,

About 500,000 Canadians volunteered around 12% of the population, 100,000 conscripts. Population 8 million
Only 73,000 Americans volunteered before the introduction of the Selective Service act which was basically conscription saw about 4 million . Population around 100 million

Similar History Discussions