Canary Islands

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
But let us recall that Jubas saw “small temple of stone” and “traces of buildings”, not pyramids. So, with only this, we can’t say that Juba is a witness “to back up the prehispanic Theory of the pyramides.”
You,youself ask me whether they are pyramids or mahones(i guess this means step-pyramides) so the same with Juba who didnt classified them as pyramides which he knew of as a Roman educated Person and recocnised the religious structure of this step-pyramides.
I have that book. Can you post the original in Castilian, or the reference, so I can find the passage? Many things are lost with automatic translators.
The passage you found on page 196

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
You,youself ask me whether they are pyramids or mahones(i guess this means step-pyramides)
Goggle Translator gives you the meaning of “Majano”: Montón de piedras sueltas, especialmente el que se forma con las que se quitan en las tierras de labor o las que sirven para marcar encrucijadas o dividir términos. / Pile of loose stones, especially the one formed with those that are removed on the farmland or those that serve to mark crossroads or divide terms.

That is why I made the question. Are they pyramids or majanos?

so the same with Juba who didnt classified them as pyramides which he knew of as a Roman educated Person and recocnised the religious structure of this step-pyramides.
But we don’t know if Juba saw the “pyramids” or the “step-pyramids”, at least not with the quoted passage. We don’t know if the reference is to them or to other erected buildings. The reference is too vague! The source doesn’t help us.

The passage you found on page 196
Thanks. I will take a look.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
"These Palmeros worshipped idols, and each prince had a place of worship in his own territory. They piled up many stones to form a pyramid, as high as loose stones can be piled up. They all came to that pile of stones, and there they danced, sang laments, and fought, but they never failed to remember that there was someone in heaven to whom they had to give glory, and who, according to their understanding, was in heaven, they called Abora."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
The translator apparently ate a part of the sentence, that I translated “and the devotion was made this way”. Here is my translation of the first part:

“These “palmeros” [people from Gran Canaria] were idolaters, and each captain had in his borders [a place] where they went to prey, and the devotion was made this way: they gathered many stones on a pile in pyramid as high as the loose stones could hold. […]”

Basically he is saying that the pile of stones in form of pyramid is made while they prey. It was their ritual. Note that this is not in Tenerife, like the previous constructions, but in Gran Canaria.

Anyway, at this point, any similarity between Galindo’s words and the Ancient Egypt seems pure coincidence.

Galindo is from the 17th century, if he saw this kind of constructions being made, or the people had memories of it… then they are more recent than the Egyptians.

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
Galindos description Shows a religious motivation to build these pyramids and with his Story it makesthem at least 200 years older than the previously giving date by some.

"Palmeros" are associated with La palma not gran Canaria.La palma wasnt conquered totaly so there were places where Guanches could have maintain their traditions and Religion till the 17thcentury.

Basically he is saying that the pile of stones in form of pyramid is made while they prey
So Galindo wittnessed a new form of worship by constructing pyramids which went from Island to Island just at that time when he arrived at that Island(La Palma/gran canaria)?

Or more likely, did he describe the reconstruction of a pyramid which already stand and Needs only to be build up for ceremonial purpose?

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
I dont agree with Arrival date of settlers which the docu says to be first century A.D. as you can read from my posts my Theorie of an Phoenician Visit by Hanno of the populated canary Island needs to be disproofed.Then the Islands are at least 2500years ago habitated.

If the BBC Docu mean northwestafricans with "Atleans" then thats correct because the inhabitants of the mountain Atlas can be called like that and so did Pliny the Elder and others.

If the Term refers to the mythological Atlantis as an academian i would say no but iam an archivist(according to historum ) so i say Maybe.

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
But i have to back BBC Reel they are not that speculatice as you think ,the pintadas of the ancient Canaries so very often the circle in circle Pattern like the capital of Atlantis was build.And plato said that the Atlanteans build their Houses in the Colour red,white and black like the "Cuevas Pintas"you can see in the docu.

I appreciate the archeological work of spain so far ,who knows if arabs left any site if they would have known of the isles.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
But i have to back BBC Reel they are not that speculatice as you think ,the pintadas of the ancient Canaries so very often the circle in circle Pattern like the capital of Atlantis was build.And plato said that the Atlanteans build their Houses in the Colour red,white and black like the "Cuevas Pintas"you can see in the docu.
Didn't saw the documentary about the canary Islands. Someday I will see it. The one about Sintra is not bad... just the tittle!

I appreciate the archeological work of spain so far ,who knows if arabs left any site if they would have known of the isles.
Quite probably they were, but not on regular bases. Do you know the story of al-Idrisi about the 8 Arab sailors and cousins that sailed from Lisbon, got lost, and ended in an inhabited island, where an Arabic translator helped to return? I imagine you will love it. The best option for this island is probably one of the Canary Islands.

I think that I and Frank already talked about this here or in other thread.

@Frank81, does the story mentions the pyramids?