Cannae/Gaugamela/Austerlitz of naval warfare?

Feb 2019
Thrace
I don't mean tactical analogues with any of those. I mean what is the greatest military masterpiece of naval warfare?

For me, the usual suspect would be the Battle of Myeongnyang. 13 ships vs 133 ships and and 0 ships sunk on the winning side, makes it extremely hard for anyone to surpass such a mind-blowing victory.

What other legendary engagements could rival the Battle of Myeongnyang?

Mar 2019
Kansas
I don't mean tactical analogues with any of those. I mean what is the greatest military masterpiece of naval warfare?

For me, the usual suspect would be the Battle of Myeongnyang. 13 ships vs 133 ships and and 0 ships sunk on the winning side, makes it extremely hard for anyone to surpass such a mind-blowing victory.

What other legendary engagements could rival the Battle of Myeongnyang?

Without a doubt

Battle off Samar - Wikipedia

Apr 2014
Istanbul Turkey
Battle of Nile (1798 ) Royal Navy 13 ships of line , French Navy 13 ships of line plus four frigates and shore batteries. Royal Navy lost no ships , French lost eleven ships of line and two frigates

Naval Battle of Trafalgar (1805) , Royal Navy 27 ships of line and two frigates , Combined Fleet (French and Spanish) 35 ships of line and four frigates. Royal Navy lost no ships , Combined Fleet in three different engagements of Trafalgar Campaign lost 26 ships of line plus two frigates.

Last edited:
Feb 2019
Serbia
Battle of Koge Bay 1677. A Dano-Norwegian fleet under Niels Juel with 34 ships defeated a Swedish fleet under Henrik Horn with about 47 ships. The Swedes lost 20 ships and the control of the sea in the Scanian War while the Dano-Norwegians lost no ships and suffered a few hundred dead and wounded.

Feb 2019
Serbia
Battle of Nile (1798 ) Royal Navy 13 ships of line , French Navy 13 ships of line plus four frigates and shore batteries. Royal Navy lost no ships , French lost eleven ships of line and two frigates

Naval Battle of Trafalgar (1805) , Royal Navy 27 ships of line and two frigates , Combined Fleet (French and Spanish) 35 ships of line and four frigates. Royal Navy lost no ships , Combined Fleet in three different engagements of Trafalgar Campaign lost 26 ships of line plus two frigates.
An unpopular opinion but I consider the Nile to be tactically better than Trafalgar, at the Nile the French had the advantage in both quantity and quality in terms of larger ships with more guns. The British line ships were only 74's while the French had L' Orient (124 guns.) and 3 80 gun ships (Franklin, Tonnant and Guillaume Tell.) The actual attack into Aboukir Bay was risky as the area was poorly mapped and there was the danger of the British ships running aground, so Nelson's envelopment of the French line despite this danger was even more impressive. Also, the British had 12 Ships of the Line engaged, one ship (Culloden) ran aground at the entrance of the bay before it could enter the battle, it was recovered afterwards.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Cape St Vincent usually gets a mention

Sluys by a clear (nautical) mile

Battle of Sluys - Wikipedia

French plus Genoese mercenaries had been raiding the south of England taking trade and slaves, they had a professional navy of skilled war galley captains.

On the English side, three professional warships and a bunch of conscripted trade ships.

Final result, 18,000 dead and virtually the entirety of the French fleet sunk or captured, English losses minimal.

Similar History Discussions