Cannon on civil boat?

Dec 2017
Poland
One has to wonder how old that legend is? :)
This version, which I knew, was quite young (late 90s). You must avoid an expensive black car. It can be a black BMW or Mercedes. The car stops next to the passer-by and the driver asks: "What time is it?" The passerby responds, and then the driver looks him in the eyes and says: "Tomorrow at this hour you will die". And it will happen. The car may have horns instead of side mirrors or three numbers "6" on the license plate. But there is a way of defense. When the driver asks you the question "What time is it?", You must answer: "It is God's time!". In another version of this legend devil does not have to drive a black car. He walks along the street like other passers-by and he asks this question to them. You can recognize the devil, because he goes a little badly, as if he is lame. That's because he has one human leg and one hoof. My school friends said they saw this car or the lame devil.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Cornwall
This version, which I knew, was quite young (late 90s). You must avoid an expensive black car. It can be a black BMW or Mercedes. The car stops next to the passer-by and the driver asks: "What time is it?" The passerby responds, and then the driver looks him in the eyes and says: "Tomorrow at this hour you will die". And it will happen. The car may have horns instead of side mirrors or three numbers "6" on the license plate. But there is a way of defense. When the driver asks you the question "What time is it?", You must answer: "It is God's time!". In another version of this legend devil does not have to drive a black car. He walks along the street like other passers-by and he asks this question to them. You can recognize the devil, because he goes a little badly, as if he is lame. That's because he has one human leg and one hoof. My school friends said they saw this car or the lame devil.
But I'm sort of thinking - if it was an old traditional legend, he would have had a black horse?

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
But I'm sort of thinking - if it was an old traditional legend, he would have had a black horse?
Zbigniew said that some versions had the Devil walking, and of course walking goes beck before the Devil, and so that might be the original version of the legend. Other older and possibly original forms of the legend might possibly have the Devil ride a black horse or drive in a black carriage.

I have a vague memory that someone in my primary school told me to beware someone called something like "the Lady in Green" or something, who supposedly preyed on children.

Oct 2009
San Diego
IN the pre civil war era, paddle wheel steamers routinely had at least one bow mounted gun, and often several smaller swivel guns that were locked up but could be brought out in a hurry.
Prior to 1875- Steamboats traveled up the Mississippi and Missouri well into the wilds where Native tribes lived, as well as outlaws and other neer-do-wells.
The guns were not large- usually 18 lb or smaller. If not at a normal wharf, steamers usually had a lifted gangway or bridge at the bow they could lower to go ashore at smaller settlements. If trouble brewed they could lift the gangway and back into the river as their primary means of defense- with a grapeshot loaded cannon at the bow to cover their retreat.

The Guns were also used with powder only charges as signals- both in foggy weather and when they pulled up to a settlement that might be set some distance from the river to avoid flooding.

Dec 2017
Poland
IN the pre civil war era, paddle wheel steamers routinely had at least one bow mounted gun, and often several smaller swivel guns that were locked up but could be brought out in a hurry. Prior to 1875- Steamboats traveled up the Mississippi and Missouri well into the wilds where Native tribes lived, as well as outlaws and other neer-do-wells. The guns were not large- usually 18 lb or smaller. .
I see that you have accurate information. It probably explains everything.

Other older and possibly original forms of the legend might possibly have the Devil ride a black horse or drive in a black carriage.
When my parents were children, the legend said that bad people in a black car kidnap children, because they want to use young blood as a cure for rich Westerners or Arabs suffering from leukemia. But probably yoy have right. It is propably new wersion of many legends about devil on black horse.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions