Cape Verde history

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Wiki says:

Cape Verde - Wikipedia

It was uninhabited in ancient times, until the Portuguese and Genovese came across it.

Was looking at flying there for a holiday a couple of years ago, but all the threads about baggage handlers helping themselves to people's luggage sort of put me off!

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I want to know the history of Cape Verde, what is it called in ancient times, is there a strong country?
As John said you can go to the Wikipedia article to know the basics. In Ancient Times the islands were inhabited. Not sure what you mean by strong country in this context.

Wiki says:

Cape Verde - Wikipedia

It was uninhabited in ancient times, until the Portuguese and Genovese came across it.

Was looking at flying there for a holiday a couple of years ago, but all the threads about baggage handlers helping themselves to people's luggage sort of put me off!
The Genoese, the Venetians and others that arrived to the Islands in the second half of the 15th century made it at the service of the Portuguese. In a similar way that the Flemish, the Dutch and the Germans in the Azores. The first habitants were Portuguese (or Europeans sent by the Portuguese) and African slaves.

As for vacations I really like to go there. I was there a couple of times, mostly to Sal. I confess that in all these years I found the evolution quite unfortunate. The first time that I went there the people were warm, friendly, communicative, and didn’t approach you on the streets to sell stuff. The last time that I was at Sal, there were plenty of street sellers (mostly from Guinea and Senegal) and they were pretty annoying on the streets and on the beach, approaching you to sell their products (cheap crafts). And that seemed to have increase in all these years. This made the locals more closed to themselves and often avoiding the tourists. This was some 4 or 5 years ago.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
As John said you can go to the Wikipedia article to know the basics. In Ancient Times the islands were inhabited. Not sure what you mean by strong country in this context.

The Genoese, the Venetians and others that arrived to the Islands in the second half of the 15th century made it at the service of the Portuguese. In a similar way that the Flemish, the Dutch and the Germans in the Azores. The first habitants were Portuguese (or Europeans sent by the Portuguese) and African slaves.

As for vacations I really like to go there. I was there a couple of times, mostly to Sal. I confess that in all these years I found the evolution quite unfortunate. The first time that I went there the people were warm, friendly, communicative, and didn’t approach you on the streets to sell stuff. The last time that I was at Sal, there were plenty of street sellers (mostly from Guinea and Senegal) and they were pretty annoying on the streets and on the beach, approaching you to sell their products (cheap crafts). And that seemed to have increase in all these years. This made the locals more closed to themselves and often avoiding the tourists. This was some 4 or 5 years ago.
Thanks Tulius. Best avoided then. Sad

Similar History Discussions