Cases of colonialism and mass migration whose goal was to provide safe haven and/or a place of refuge for some persecuted group(s)?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
NATO could claim that the 1975 Helsinki agreement didn't apply in this case since Serbia wasn't an independent country yet back in 1975. Quite disingenuous, isn't it?
Hmmm. You might just score very highly on the LSAT, Futurist !

Reactions: Futurist
Oct 2012
In 1940, the United States considered the possibility of settling a large number of Finnish refugees from the Finnish-Russian war in Alaska. The proposal was intended to be carried out if the Soviet Union had conquered Finland.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In 1940, the United States considered the possibility of settling a large number of Finnish refugees from the Finnish-Russian war in Alaska. The proposal was intended to be carried out if the Soviet Union had conquered Finland.
Do you know just how many?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
No,it does not. I suppose as many as they can get there.
That makes sense. I wonder if an exact location for them was discussed. I mean, it would probably suck to be resettled in a remote part of Alaska as opposed to in or near a large Alaskan city.

Oct 2012
That makes sense. I wonder if an exact location for them was discussed. I mean, it would probably suck to be resettled in a remote part of Alaska as opposed to in or near a large Alaskan city.
" "New Finland" would have been established in Central Alaska around the Tanana River, a tributary of the Yukon. US authorities considered conditions in the Alaskan wilderness to be suitable for the Finns. Central Alaska is at roughly the same latitude as central Finland. "

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
" "New Finland" would have been established in Central Alaska around the Tanana River, a tributary of the Yukon. US authorities considered conditions in the Alaskan wilderness to be suitable for the Finns. Central Alaska is at roughly the same latitude as central Finland. "
Interesting. FWIW, though, central Alaska might be extremely isolated even nowadays. Indeed, central Alaska doesn't have that many roads: