Cases of colonialism and mass migration whose goal was to provide safe haven and/or a place of refuge for some persecuted group(s)?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
EU and USA establishing Kosovo appears to fit the category also.

Though in this case the mass migration involved the ethnic group which the colonizing powers had defeated, rather than the safe haven group. Here the haven was established out of a sovereign state overturning the 1975 agreements on post WWII borders.
I actually don't think it counts, at least not officially. The so-called Republic of Kosovo is officially a country for all inhabitants of Kosovo, not just Albanians. Serbian is one of the official languages. Of course, we know that pretty much it is only a country for Albanians, but on paper it is not.

May 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
Much more people have moved there over the last 10 years?
New people have moved in, some people have moved out, the FLDS patriarchy has fallen from political power, which is now run by a women mayor with solid political support from the state, and a general over all community feeling (not all feel this way of course) that the 21st century is here.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Gotcha. Also, was life for a middle-class family in Fairbanks back then comparable to life for a middle-class family elsewhere in the US?

May 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
I am not expert on socio-demographics, Futurist, but for those who lived within the city and had access to its utilities, I would guess it was close.

But . . . we all had to wait 24 hours for the news the day before to be played the next day.

Looking back, the community was socially liberal but very politically conservative. Each person was expected to pull his or her weight.

Reactions: Futurist