Cases where a country became easier to manage as a result of it losing some territory?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Economic hardship was acute for Russia and other republic after the dissolution of Soviet Union.
Yes, and that was unsurprising given the extremely heavy economic interdependence that these regions had with each other as a result of Bolshevism. Had this break occurred back in 1918, things would have probably been much smoother since there was probably much less economic interdependence between these regions at that time than there was in 1991.

Punjabis dominated army and now even the country was a Punjabi majority. Beside that, East Pakistan shared more sort of reformist mentality while West Pakistan was feudal and hardline Islamists. West Pakistanis saw East Pakistan as culturally Hindus.
It's ironic that West Pakistan is perceived this way considering that it has two of Pakistan's most cosmopolitan cities--specifically Karachi and Lahore.

Sep 2016
Georgia
Russia also seems to be doing better than as a Soviet Union.
How exactly ? Modern Russia can't match Soviet Union in terms of Industrial capabilities, scientific development, cultural development, political and international influence, natural and human resources. The only 3 things Russia has over USSR are economic liberty, open borders and more liberal press. However, even economic liberty is seriously limited due to heavy involvement of the government in 70% of Russian economy and the press is currently in Putin's hands.

The sanctions are really laughable. Russia never had to face the same challenges as Soviet Union. Even the 90s weren't that bad compared to 1918 - 1922 period and bloody Civil War in former Russian Empire. Then USSR managed to achieve victory in WW2 and fought against USA (the biggest economy in the world) for decades. Soviet Union lost in the end, but it was a real war in all but direct military confrontation.

Soviet Union was also more successfull in terms of sports.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How exactly ? Modern Russia can't match Soviet Union in terms of Industrial capabilities, scientific development, cultural development, political and international influence, natural and human resources. The only 3 things Russia has over USSR are economic liberty, open borders and more liberal press. However, even economic liberty is seriously limited due to heavy involvement of the government in 70% of Russian economy and the press is currently in Putin's hands.

The sanctions are really laughable. Russia never had to face the same challenges as Soviet Union. Even the 90s weren't that bad compared to 1918 - 1922 period and bloody Civil War in former Russian Empire. Then USSR managed to achieve victory in WW2 and fought against USA (the biggest economy in the world) for decades. Soviet Union lost in the end, but it was a real war in all but direct military confrontation.

Soviet Union was also more successfull in terms of sports.
Good points, though I would like to point out that, in regards to World War II, the USSR managed to win it as a part of a coalition and at an extremely high cost in human lives. In 1950, there were only 62 Russian men aged 25-49 for every 100 Russian women aged 25-49. The equivalent figures for Ukraine and Belarus in 1950 weren't that much better.

Reactions: Gvelion
Sep 2016
Georgia
Good points, though I would like to point out that, in regards to World War II, the USSR managed to win it as a part of a coalition and at an extremely high cost in human lives.
Yes, absolutely. However, i'm pretty confident that modern Russia without nukes would be defeated in couple of months if it faced the same odds as Soviet Union in 1941 or 1942. Even as a part of some coalition.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yes, absolutely. However, i'm pretty confident that modern Russia without nukes would be defeated in couple of months if it faced the same odds as Soviet Union in 1941 or 1942. Even as a part of some coalition.
The same might have been also true for the USSR of 1945, no? I mean, if Alien Space Bats teleported the USSR of 1945 together with its entire military back to June 1941, then June 1941 Nazi Germany is in all likelihood going to be able to decisively crush the USSR due to the USSR's vast depletion of manpower.

Sep 2016
Georgia
The same might have been also true for the USSR of 1945, no? I mean, if Alien Space Bats teleported the USSR of 1945 together with its entire military back to June 1941, then June 1941 Nazi Germany is in all likelihood going to be able to decisively crush the USSR due to the USSR's vast depletion of manpower.
I believe that Soviet army was able to field 11 000 000 men in 1945, which is more than what Germany prepared for invasion in the summer of 1941. They also had experienced officers and their forces conducted such operations like Bagration or the crossing of Dnepr.

Not to mention. that the population of Soviet Union increased in the next decades after the war. USSR had the population of 190 000 000 in 1941 and by 1980's it increased to 290 000 000. Soviet Union had the bigger population than US at the time, almost 300 million people.