Cases where a country's capital does not have a land connection to (most of) the rest of the country

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Yes, you could only travel by 4 roads and 3 airways if I am not mistaken. But you would still need to pass GDR border checks and pay their tolls. In fact, GDR sometimes attempted to limit access to West Berlin by raising the tolls. It almost caused the West to intervene militarily to secure West Berlin.
Sorry, what I meant was, I didn't think there was a rail connection.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Something had to be the capital though and I assume it was located on that "island" as well?
Well that island was over 2/3 of the non-occupied territories (I am counting Brabant as occupied).

Also the water-line (Waterlinie in Dutch) was about 3 km wide, but at some points much less (either due to the land being too high or due to bribery by the farmers), which is why the French could cross it when it had frozen up.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
The Hague was the capital of the Dutch Republic.
It is really tough to point to a capitol. Den Haag had the parliament, but Amsterdam was the most important city by a huge margin. However there wasn't really a "Dutch republic", it was a union of 7 provinces who send delegates to The Hague (but not with power of representation, any decision outside their mandate had to be rediscussed in their province, which is why some decisions took forever) .

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
It is really tough to point to a capitol. Den Haag had the parliament, but Amsterdam was the most important city by a huge margin. However there wasn't really a "Dutch republic", it was a union of 7 provinces who send delegates to The Hague (but not with power of representation, any decision outside their mandate had to be rediscussed in their province, which is why some decisions took forever) .
Where is the seat of government? That's usually considered the capital.