Cases where a junior member of a royal house overthrows a monarch of the same royal house through a revolution or coup?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In 1830, Louis-Philippe participated in the overthrow of French King Charles X (in the Revolution of 1830) and thus became the new French monarch. This situation was highly interesting because Louis-Philippe was not Charles's immediate heir--rather, Charles's immediate heirs were Charles's son Louis-Antoine and Charles's grandson Henri, later known as the Count of Chambord. This situation was also interesting because Charles and Louis-Philippe were both members of the same royal house--with Charles being a member of the senior branch of the House of Bourbon while Louis-Philippe was a member of a junior branch of the House of Bourbon called the House of Orleans. Charles and Louis-Philippe even shared a common male-line ancestor in the form of French King Louis XIII, with Charles being descended from Louis XIII's eldest son Louis XIV while Louis-Philippe was descended from Louis XIII's gay younger son Philippe I, Duke of Orleans.

In turn, this made me wonder if there were ever any additional cases where a junior member of a royal house that was not the immediate heir to the throne of a particular country overthrew a monarch of the same royal house through some kind of revolution and/or coup. Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I'm well-aware that monarchs can be overthrown, but to my knowledge this generally happens if it's a different royal house that's doing the overthrowing and/or if the previous heir to the throne becomes the new monarch. What was so interesting about Charles X's overthrow in France in 1830 is that neither of these things were actually true. Charles X's successor as French King Louis-Philippe didn't actually belong to a different royal house and Louis-Philippe likewise wasn't either the designated heir to the French throne right before the Revolution of 1830 (Louis-Philippe was in the line of succession to the French throne in 1830, but only after Charles X's son and grandson).

Jun 2017
maine
Donald III "Ban" seized the Scottish throne from his nephew Duncan II.
Mary II & husband William III seized British throne from her father, James II (whose heir was not Mary but her younger half brother James)
War of Roses seizures: Henry IV from cousin Richard II; Edward IV from cousin Henry VI; Henry VII from cousin Richard III

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Donald III "Ban" seized the Scottish throne from his nephew Duncan II.
Interesting. Apparently Duncan II had a surviving son named William whom Donald III bypassed:

Also, what about Macbeth overthrowing Duncan I in 1040 and Duncan I's son Malcolm III (Canmore) overthrowing Macbeth's son Lulach in 1058?

Mary II & husband William III seized British throne from her father, James II (whose heir was not Mary but her younger half brother James)
Yep.

War of Roses seizures: Henry IV from cousin Richard II; Edward IV from cousin Henry VI; Henry VII from cousin Richard III
Yep; excellent example! :)

Also, what about Richard II being succeeded by Henry IV in England in 1399? Or about Henry VII overthrowing Richard III in 1485?

Dec 2013
Arkansas
Didn't a low ranking member of the royal house of Nepal a decade or two ago massacre most of the members of his family? Don't know how that all played out or if it's a decent example.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It's not really so much of an overthrow as a simple massacre, though. Also, in this case, the Crown Prince did, in fact, commit the dastardly deed. So, he was the immediate heir to the throne when he did the deed.

Jun 2017
maine
Apparently Duncan II had a surviving son named William whom Donald III bypassed
That as well. King Malcolm's line by his first, Norwegian wife was replaced first by his brother and then by the sons of Malcolm's 2nd wife. Duncan II's line was around for many years--intermarrying with other Celtic claimants and confusing genealogists.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
That as well. King Malcolm's line by his first, Norwegian wife was replaced first by his brother and then by the sons of Malcolm's 2nd wife. Duncan II's line was around for many years--intermarrying with other Celtic claimants and confusing genealogists.
Very interesting! Also, what about Robert the Bruce overthrowing John Balliol in Scotland in the early 1300s?

Reactions: Kotromanic

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
In Portugal:

The kingdom was chaotic and, at a request from the Bishop of Porto, the pope removed D. Sancho II from the throne to give it to his younger brother, D. Afonso III.

When D. João II died ill there were rumours that he had been poisoned by his first cousin, the future king D. Manuel I.

D. Pedro II made a coup against his older brother Afonso VI and sent him to exile, ruling as regent, and when Afonso VI died he finally took the throne. In the meanwhile, he married his brother’s wife that had annulled the first matrimony due to the impotence of Afonso VI.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In Portugal:

The kingdom was chaotic and, at a request from the Bishop of Porto, the pope removed D. Sancho II from the throne to give it to his younger brother, D. Afonso III.

When D. João II died ill there were rumours that he had been poisoned by his first cousin, the future king D. Manuel I.

D. Pedro II made a coup against his older brother Afonso VI and sent him to exile, ruling as regent, and when Afonso VI died he finally took the throne. In the meanwhile, he married his brother’s wife that had annulled the first matrimony due to the impotence of Afonso VI.
Very interesting! That said, though, in all of these cases, the new Portuguese Kings were the immediate heirs to the throne before their accession, no?