Cases where a junior member of a royal house overthrows a monarch of the same royal house through a revolution or coup?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
@duncanness: I think that your posts here demonstrated that what I was thinking about here really wasn't that rare or unprecedented in the British Isles throughout history. I do wonder if it was more of a rarity in continental Europe, though. Throughout French history up to 1830 (with the brief exception of the Hundred Years' War, when the English were occupying a giant part of France), the heir to the throne always became King if he lived long enough. Indeed, before Louis-Philippe did this, it was probably perceived in France as being (almost) completely unprecedented for a French prince to usurp the succession from more senior legitimate royal male agnates.

Jun 2017
maine
Very interesting! Also, what about Robert the Bruce overthrowing John Balliol in Scotland in the early 1300s?
Well, technically. Robert I Bruce was a 2nd cousin, 1ce removed from Balliol. I don't know if you'd call that the same family or not. One was BRUCE and the other was BALLIOL; their relationship was through female lines.

Last edited:

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Very interesting! That said, though, in all of these cases, the new Portuguese Kings were the immediate heirs to the throne before their accession, no?
Yes.

In Castile we probably have more cases, here are two:

Pedro, el Cruel, was killed by his brother Enrique II, the Fratricide, after a civil war between the two. Pedro was younger but he was legitimate while Enrique II was illegitimate.

And we also have another the Civil War between the legitimate daughter of the king Enrique IV, Joana, nicknamed “la Beltraneja” (it was said that she was daughter of the noble Beltrán de la Cueva), and her aunt Isabel I, La Católica. Isabel won the war and took the throne.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Well, technically. Robert I Bruce was a 2nd cousin, 1ce removed from Balliol. I don't know if you'd call that the same family or not. One was BRUCE and the other was BALLIOL; their relationship was through female lines.
Excellent point; thank you! I forgot about that. Honestly, I would probably agree with you that they are NOT from the same family.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
There are a lot of them and I am just putting out some.
Charlemagne, his brother somehow died
His grandsons split up the empire, ganging up on the oldest
But you could go as far back as Esau and Jacob.