Caste System in India - History & Annihilation

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Why not outlaw castes altogether?
Kamayani said "Only some politically motivated groups are going to keep it alive to fulfill their selfish motives." Supreme Court asked Rajiv Gandhi if 'affirmative action' should be based on economic status? He said 'no, it will be based on caste'. One needs a 2/3 majority in lower house of the parliament and a clear majority in the upper house to make such changes. Modi does not have that. These politicians feed on castes. The option is to have a dictator in India for some time. Would you like that?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
South has its own caste equations- Vokaliggas, Lingayats and Kurubas. Kerala has its Hindus, Christians, Muslims and Communists. Also Nairs, Ezhavas and Nadars. Andhra has its Kapus, Kammas and Reddys. Tamilnadu has its Vanniyars, Kongu Vellalars, Yadavas, Mukkulathor, Nadar, etc. South India is just as caste-ridden as North India, but IMHO, if Modi gets another chance then he would like to remove these problems.

Oct 2015
India
Even Buddha could not remove the caste system. He could remove it from among his followers alone. Today RSS (the organization to which Modi belongs) has eradicated caste discrimination in its own ranks. All castes are treated equal, I understand.

To expect Modi to remove the system in India is like asking for the moon from him. It is not his power. personally he does not believe in caste system.

Most political parties will not allow the caste fault-lines to be erased. It wipes out their support-base, source of power, and put them on the road. Same applies to religious polarization. We should not bank on political parties. It is only BJP which stands for erasing caste boundaries - all the rest want them enhanced.

We need to look at what things have loosened the bonds of caste in the past and focus on accelerating them.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
? 3125513, member: 390

No it's going to end(atleast among educated lot). Only some politically motivated groups are going to keep it alive to fulfill their selfish motives. But then those people have many difference among themselves so they would not be able to maintain their unity.
Hindus never had problem at accepting 'low caste' people as their kings or governors or landloards. But now Hindus have also started accepting 'untouchables' as priests at the temple.

I don't know any society which did not had a system for social-division and it still exists in modern day(but in subtle ways).

Moreover to be able to talk about the subject of 'caste system' of India one needs to do an in-depth analysis of socio-economic-political scenario of India at different time-periods of history.
To be honest, what you say is all wishful thinking. The ground level reality is something totally different. Here are real life stories when people marry out of caste and out of religion in India, just publiched in BBC news:
Inter-caste marriage: On the run for love in India

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Why cant it work ? Japan almost destroyed the samurai caste and forced the layman to adopt surnames like the warrior samurais. These samurais were the lords of land for almost 700 years and overnight they were finished.

Caste system is holding India back.
Caste system in India is something that is entirely different from anything that existed elsewhere. It is very unique, religiously justified and glorified in Hinduism. For example. a Hindu without a caste just can't be a Hindu. Caste runs deep in Hinduism. A very common holy Hindu text one would find in Hindu homes is 'Bhagavad Gita' (Song of the God). The text embodies what it is to be a Hindu, all written by the Brahmin caste. The main purpose of this text is to justify one's born caste, and glorify the virtues that would bring to one's life if one fulfills one's caste duties, while demonizing low castes. It is written about 2000+ years ago. Such theologies have long created a Hindu culture infused with caste system. It is hard to get rid of something like that as easy as Japan did.

Apr 2019
India
Modi can do it. I am sure South Indian parties will support the measure and if they form a coalition with Modi they will have the necessary votes.
I personally think south is much more 'caste' ridden than north.

To be honest, what you say is all wishful thinking.
/QUOTE]

No. It's your wishful thinking and your narrow mindness which doesn't allow you to see things in ratio.
A country having population of more than one billion is likely to have a few unpalatable incidents like this.

Moreoever if your idea of 'ground reality of India' is formed by BBC then I can only pity you.

The day Hindus started accepting 'untouchable' as their temple priests it started a silent revolution.
No. It's your wishful thinking and your narrow mindness which doesn't allow you to see things in ratio.
A country having population of more than one billion is likely to have a few unpalatable incidents like this.

Moreoever if your idea of 'ground reality of India' is formed by BBC then I can only pity you.

The day Hindus started accepting 'untouchable' as their temple priests it started a silent revolution.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA

I would trust BBC anytime, compared to what you claim.

Could you give some details on this 'dalit temple priests'?

Last edited:
Apr 2019
India

Oopsie! I'm more trustworthy and well intentioned.

Why don't you search it on your own?

And why don't you actually give 'castiest Hindu' religious texts like Vedas' Upnishadas and even Bhagwad Geeta or Hindu darshans a real try so that you can actually know what they stand for.

Oct 2015
India

BBC takes stray incidents - the ones which will fetch it TRP - and publishes them. These are stray & sensationalise issues that existed in colonial times. Just because there was a small shower on Fifth Avenue, does not mean the New York city is experiencing rains, or that New York state is flooded.

If you have to understand India, then you have to listen to people who live here. I remember @Aup had posted regarding inter-caste marriages in his family. Next best source is the Indian Press.

BBC (UK), The Economist, New York Times - when talking of social or political issues in India - are close to junk reporting. I often feel surprised the degree to which they are ill-informed, but am unable to fathom reason at root of this situation.

The Guardian of UK is better. 'BBC News Hindi' is also better.

Similar History Discussions