Castles, Cathedrals & Re-Constructions

Feb 2019
Denmark
Let's have a thread with reconstruction attempts of historical buildings in Europe, be it your own or someone else's.
Also, please provide a description of the considerations and uncertainties.

The attempts can be anything from your own hand-drawings to professional/TV documentaries. Of course, respect copyright laws. If you post anything from other sources than your own, please be sure to credit the author and respect copyright.

Feb 2019
Denmark
Isleifson - The Guedelon castle reconstruction project - is this not the world's largest real-life reconstruction project?
I've watched Secrets of the Castle (BBC), its really interesting.

Anyways, here's my reconstruction of a gatehouse of Hammershus:

It has stepped gables, I've decided those because other reconstruction attempts has done so as well, and it was quite normal for buildings in the late 14th-15th century in Denmark and Northern Europe to have stepped gables.
There's a blacksmith working, this is because there were traces of a fireplace and iron slag.

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
I visited this church in Blubberhouses, Yorkshire, a couple of weeks ago. It's not a reconstuction of any particular church and was built in the 1800's. It was designed by Edward Buckton Lamb who was known a the 'Rogue Architect' because of his style, 'Rogue Gothic Revivalist '.

standrews2.jpg

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Are those on youtube? I've watched quite a lot of hungarian castle recontructions (virtual) on youtube, for inspiration for my own reconstructions.
Yeah, I've seen a few of the Hungarian ones on Youtube, and I think their work has appeared on other Hungary-related digital reconstructions. My Hungarian is very limited, however, so I can't really find out!

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
Isleifson - The Guedelon castle reconstruction project - is this not the world's largest real-life reconstruction project?
I've watched Secrets of the Castle (BBC), its really interesting.

Anyways, here's my reconstruction of a gatehouse of Hammershus:

It has stepped gables, I've decided those because other reconstruction attempts has done so as well, and it was quite normal for buildings in the late 14th-15th century in Denmark and Northern Europe to have stepped gables.
There's a blacksmith working, this is because there were traces of a fireplace and iron slag.
Yes, Guedelon could be the largest.

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque

Similar History Discussions