Catholic Church may have already had a black Pope

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
I believe that Francis Arinze from Nigeria was the black African cardinal who was considered papabile at the 2005 papal conclave.

There have surely been African popes in ancient times from the Maghreb area of North Africa, which is inhabited by Arabs and Berbers, who are Semitic peoples. But never has there been a black African pope. But sub-Saharan Africa is likely the area of the world where the Catholic population is presently growing faster than anywhere else, So it's possible in the future.
Great points very well said. And you’re right about the surge of Catholics in Africa, sub Sahara Africa included. I feel within the next five Popes we are going to have a black African pope.

And I thought it was just so wonderful and well articulated How the historian , Mr Davis shown in the original post.... was clear about his points. This is not about taking away culture from Europe or trying to say that Saint Nicholas was Turkic it has nothing whatsoever to do with that. You look at the comment sections in some of the articles I have shown and that is what some people erroneously think

Jul 2019
New Jersey
The African bishops are hyper-conservative on matters like homosexuality, so I'm not sure @JoanOfArc007 will really be all that thrilled when one rolls around.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
The African bishops are hyper-conservative on matters like homosexuality, so I'm not sure @JoanOfArc007 will really be all that thrilled when one rolls around.
I have read of what one or two African bishop said about LGBT rights and to Each their own on that my friend. We have to realize that the Pope and the Catholic Church do not exert the power that they used to exert. That being said if an African bishop or cardinal becomes Pope they very well may become more liberal on their views about LGBT people. Of course at the same time we actually need to look into what the African officials are saying about these issues so we can not just guess what they’re saying we really need to do the work and see what they have to say. Thank you so much for the response I hope you have a wonderful day

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
In the Dutch tradition, St. Nicholas is accompanied by Zwarte Piet, or Black Peter (any relative of Blue Peter?).

Since Santa is served by elves, that makes Piet a dark elf, therefore proving that St. Nicholas is Sauron.
Is that Black Peter 'Saint Peter' . I heard somewhere that St peter was black too .

Actually all the apostles where black ... and Jesus , as well as all the Popes and ....... oh !

< takes off sunglasses >

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
The Dutch also claim Santa lives in Spain, how he handles the summer heat I have no idea.

You think that is nuts , you should do an Aussie Christmas in the middle of summer ! 32 deg C , a roast dinner with plastic holly on the pud , sprayed on fake 'santa snow' on the windows and other objects, poor santas with fake beards and wigs and fur lined boots sweating like a pig underneath .

and maybe silliest of all

1564523223794.png

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
You think that is nuts , you should do an Aussie Christmas in the middle of summer ! 32 deg C , a roast dinner with plastic holly on the pud , sprayed on fake 'santa snow' on the windows and other objects, poor santas with fake beards and wigs and fur lined boots sweating like a pig underneath.
Here's a proper Aussie Santa

Jan 2014
Portugal
A few years back on the "Today" news programme on BBC radio four, the premier news outlet for "serious" news in the UK for those unfamiliar, a guest on the programme was Sister Wendy, a nun who was also an art historian. I don't remember the exact context in which this came up, but there was a connection to a Turkish bid to join the EU, and Sister Wendy explained to us about the origins of "Father Christmas", Saint Nicholas of Myra. Sister Wendy could clearly read a map as she pointed out that ancient Myra was in the Turkish province of Antalya. She then made the statement that Saint Nicholas was therefore a Turk. That the Ottoman Turks did not appear in Anatolia until about 900 years after the time of Saint Nicholas seemed to have completely passed her by, as well as "big hitter" and chair of "Brain of Britain" presenter, John Humphries. So at the end of this piece by two respected establishment figures, Saint Nicholas of Myra, "Father Christmas" had become a Turk and so Turks were an old integrated part of Europe. I presume the BBC thought that we all were sitting at home or wherever with our eyes glazed over and drool coming from our mouths as we soaked this crude propaganda up, none of us ever having read "1984", maybe soon to be a banned book, along with real history books were we can still check the facts against the lies.
Hate Thy Neighbor a British Vice Series about extreme right and racism in general, that is honestly pretty interesting, have this one moment where the presenter, Jamali Maddix is discussing slavery with some short sighted man, and the man keeps saying that arabs had slaves, and Jamali asking when was this, implying that the guy was lying, and creating an idea in the audience that Europeans invented slavery in early modern times.

I was ****'d in my mind. In the middle of a fairly interesting documentary, were the presenter takes some interesting points (and has a lot of courage being a black guy in the middle of several white supermacist groups), there was this giant history washing.

British TV is pretty crazy at this point.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Former nun, Mary Cusack, wrote a book called The Black Pope, but it wasn't about race. Black referred to the uniform color.

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
Hate Thy Neighbor a British Vice Series about extreme right and racism in general, that is honestly pretty interesting, have this one moment where the presenter, Jamali Maddix is discussing slavery with some short sighted man, and the man keeps saying that arabs had slaves, and Jamali asking when was this, implying that the guy was lying, and creating an idea in the audience that Europeans invented slavery in early modern times.

I was ****'d in my mind. In the middle of a fairly interesting documentary, were the presenter takes some interesting points (and has a lot of courage being a black guy in the middle of several white supermacist groups), there was this giant history washing.

British TV is pretty crazy at this point.
Ah, this post didn't show up in my alerts. I would content that UK TV, the BBC in particular, is unwatchable due to the omnipresent "messages" in news, documentaries, drama, sport and even the weather forecasts. The "messages" are varied in subject, but all, if pushed a few decades ago, would have been laughed out of existence, but in these "interesting times", they are to be as eagerly taken in, and believed, as Mao's little red book. It shows how low things have got when in the UK a TV advert for VW cars was pulled when three, that's actually an entire three people, complained that it showed "Harmful gender stereotypes" ie, it showed men being adventurous and a woman with a baby in a pram. It's so bizarre that it's almost difficult to believe it's true, but it is, and I'll let Dave Cullen explain it better than me. The same mindset that complains, and the mindset that accepts the complaints, is the same as that which manipulates history, and current events...